"Chivalry is sexist and creates a double standard"

Can you have chivalry and equality at the same time?

Discuss

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: "Chivalry is sexist and creates a double standard"
@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Discuss

No I don'tt believe chivalry is sexist and I don't believe that it creates a double standard.

I believe that men and women should be treated as equals and have equal pay in the workplace etc. but it's good for a man to show respect to women. I always well let a lady go first whether on a bus, train or elevator. I give up my seat to women as well. Not so much teenage girls though. This is a customary thing. Most women appreciate that.

I think it is important that we hold on to some of our old traditions.

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

Sometimes it may be safer to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QqmXy3vNMQ 

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

I never thought we would agree on anything 4channel but good on you for your actions.

As an older lady I really appreciate being treated with respect.....even just having a door held open.  And I always say thank you, which is apparently not so common.

A few years ago I was having a discussion with a group of friends of various ages.  The consensus from the men was that courtesy towards women was not always appreciated nor reciprocated.  It was quite common for women to ignore a courtesy being extended or even be rude about it.

Courtesy goes both ways.....it women want it they have to be courteous in return.....just a form of equality in my book.

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Discuss

No I don'tt believe chivalry is sexist and I don't believe that it creates a double standard.

I believe that men and women should be treated as equals and have equal pay in the workplace etc. but it's good for a man to show respect to women. I always well let a lady go first whether on a bus, train or elevator. I give up my seat to women as well. Not so much teenage girls though. This is a customary thing. Most women appreciate that.

Why should a lady go first? Why would you give up a seat to women unless you view them as being weak and feable to start off with? Aren't you the sexist one?

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

- - - - - - - - - -

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Discuss

@4channel wrote:

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Why should a lady go first? Why would you give up a seat to women unless you view them as being weak and feable to start off with? Aren't you the sexist one?

No I'm not the sexist one Bob. I appreciate your questioning to incite deeper thought. But ....   It's  a custom, tradition and a positive gesture. It does more good than harm. And when I go and have an ale or two with some mates at the pub, I may talk rough. When I'm around women I watch what I say and keep my mouth clean.  Again it's a gesture and does no harm. It's a form of respect as well.

We're all equal as men and women. It's nice to hold on to some of our good traditions as it I think it defines who we are as a society.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

@4channel wrote:

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Discuss

No wonder you have struggled to understand women for so long if this is what you believe, Bob. Look at the animal kingdom. Males go to absurd extremes to impress females, and why? The primal drive is very powerful. It seems to me that females have always been the stronger sex and we, the pathetic weak subservients. I'm with 4channel, I like being a gentleman. Besides, some women appreciate chivalry more so than others!

You should try it some time. winking-fun-cartoon-emoji-face-wink-and_bwc51099107 (2).jpg

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Discuss

Chivalry and equality are simply not the same thing. *shrugs*

Re chivalry:

When I was in my 20s I was very appreciative of being offered a seat on a packed bus, train etc.  However, I always felt the elderly, or pregnant women or women with a couple of small kids and a load of shopping had precedence.  BTW, when I say elderly I mean men and women, and there were occasions I had a seat and offered it to an elderly man.

Holding a door open for women is also very nice.....provided someone who didn't get the memo then decided to barge through from the opposite direction causing a near collision.  I will also add that letting anyone leave a lift or a train or a shop FIRST (this applies to males and females) is on the decrease in some areas with people prepared to push their way in before there's any space for them.  Never mind chivalry, it's plain common sense.

Some years ago an older male held the single door open for me to exit a small supermarket (no automatic doors at this place).  As I was making my way out with my shopping trolley a teenage male barged into the shop and connected with the trolley.  He berated me for being in his way and followed me out to my car and demanded to know my name and details.  I told him he was in the wrong and he should go away, then he got quite threatening.  i'll admit he scared me a bit.  I got in my car and drove off.....and I didn't go back there for months.  Hopefully the next time he pulled that stunt someone punched him in the face....he sure had it coming.

The last time I used to regularly catch a train I noticed very few seats were offered to women.  They were in such short supply compared to the number of commuters, if was survival of the fittest.  LOL  At that point arthritis was beginning to bite and after standing for most of the journey I'd be in agony.  How I would have loved it if someone offerred me a seat!  On one occasion we were packed like sardines and I was standing next to two people who had heavily laid on aftershave and perfume.  It affected my asthma but I had no hope of getting my inhaler out.  That was one scary journey.

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

- - - - - - - - - -

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Discuss

@4channel wrote:

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

No I'm not the sexist one Bob. I appreciate your questioning to incite deeper thought. But ....   It's  a custom, tradition and a positive gesture. It does more good than harm. And when I go and have an ale or two with some mates at the pub, I may talk rough. When I'm around women I watch what I say and keep my mouth clean.  Again it's a gesture and does no harm. It's a form of respect as well.

We're all equal as men and women. It's nice to hold on to some of our good traditions as it I think it defines who we are as a society.

My questioning is to reveal your hypocrisy and double standard and how you treat people differently based on gender. 

If it's based on a positive gesture or the rationale of more good than harm. Would it follow you save your seats to everyone, irrespective of gender and not just to women? Also why don't you keep your mouth clean when talking to your mates? do they not deserve your respect as well. By your own standards, isn't it a better tradition for society to treat both gender with the same respect and actions which does even more good than harm?

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

@not_for_sale2024 wrote:

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

@4channel wrote:

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Discuss

No wonder you have struggled to understand women for so long if this is what you believe, Bob. Look at the animal kingdom. Males go to absurd extremes to impress females, and why? The primal drive is very powerful. It seems to me that females have always been the stronger sex and we, the pathetic weak subservients. I'm with 4channel, I like being a gentleman. Besides, some women appreciate chivalry more so than others!

You should try it some time. winking-fun-cartoon-emoji-face-wink-and_bwc51099107 (2).jpg

Are you saying "Chivalry" is nothing more than the male showing off and impressing the females so they can propogate their genes? Yes that primal drive is very powerful. Are you also implying that the female sex are the calculating, manipulative and the conniving ones who ultimately are the ones that has the control of the situation?

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply