A US Anti-vaccine campaigner wanting to come to Aus to give talks - your thoughts ?

aps1080
Community Member

This is going to be a heated argument.

A US Anti-vaccine campaigner wanting to come to Aus to give talks and some Dr's want to ban her.

This follow on from the mis representation of an anti Vacciner on a current affair show on the ABC the other night.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/health/doctors-want-to-bar-antivaccination-campaigner-sherri-tenpe...

Message 1 of 108
Latest reply
107 REPLIES 107

Re: A US Anti-vaccine campaigner wanting to come to Aus to give talks - your thoughts ?

I am 100% for vaccinating children against childhood diseases I had all mine when I was a child.  The one thing that concerns me is that a lot of adults me included do and did not know they need booster shots.  

5 years ago I got measles and 2 years go I had whooping cough both caught from someone on public transport I was 46 when I got measles and was shocked when diagnosed as I though I was covered for life.  I am not sure why I caught whooping cough as I had a booster shot about 4 years ago.  

Message 91 of 108
Latest reply

Re: A US Anti-vaccine campaigner wanting to come to Aus to give talks - your thoughts ?

I seem to remember that already parents have been sued for some actions including having bits of boys' bits cut off. 

Say that ten times after ten wines.

Message 92 of 108
Latest reply

Yes, we forget tetanus boosters also.

Message 93 of 108
Latest reply

Yes you are protected BUT...babies that are too young to be vaccinated are NOT...if people want to risk their children's lives by not vaccinating that is their choice but they have no right to risk other people's children's lives because of their choice. 

Putting the babies in a bubble, or a sterille environment until they can be vaccinated is prefreable to forcing someone to take a vaccinne injection against their will. Seems to me like a form of rape.

Fun Factor : Now you have a choice in chat, factor that
Message 94 of 108
Latest reply

Strange comparison...............

One of my children had measles before she was old enough to have the vaccine. She was very ill but recovered, with some hearing loss.

My children who were not vaccinated were kept home from school when an outbreak was suspected.

As infants, we kept them home for the first few months but I do agree about adult boosters.

Most people have no idea.

Message 95 of 108
Latest reply

@softail-joanie wrote:

Yes you are protected BUT...babies that are too young to be vaccinated are NOT...if people want to risk their children's lives by not vaccinating that is their choice but they have no right to risk other people's children's lives because of their choice. 

Putting the babies in a bubble, or a sterille environment until they can be vaccinated is prefreable to forcing someone to take a vaccinne injection against their will. Seems to me like a form of rape.

Words fail me...talk about OTT.

Message 96 of 108
Latest reply

Strange comparison..

I don't believe so. How could anyone not see this as rape? Forcing one's power over another. Penetration into one's body against their will, the violence of it. the forced control over another. How could this not be rape?

I don't have the answers, there are problems in the world that maybe, can not be answered. But this is wrong, I know it and can feel it on so many levels. I've been raped repeatedly over the past few years. In some cases even giving consent, because I was lied to.

"If you let us take your blood, we will release you in the morning"

didn't happen, even if they would have let me out, it was still rape, I felt I had no choice in the matter. Like holding a gun to my head. Major sorce of my depression, will always be with me, still gives me nightmares, theres no doubt, it's rape

Message 97 of 108
Latest reply

@softail-joanie wrote:

Strange comparison..

I don't believe so. How could anyone not see this as rape? Forcing one's power over another. Penetration into one's body against their will, the violence of it. the forced control over another. How could this not be rape?

I don't have the answers, there are problems in the world that maybe, can not be answered. But this is wrong, I know it and can feel it on so many levels. I've been raped repeatedly over the past few years. In some cases even giving consent, because I was lied to.

"If you let us take your blood, we will release you in the morning"

didn't happen, even if they would have let me out, it was still rape, I felt I had no choice in the matter. Like holding a gun to my head. Major sorce of my depression, will always be with me, still gives me nightmares, theres no doubt, it's rape

You do realise joanie that sometimes it isn't all about you. There is absolutely no comparison to a baby receiving an injection to prevent a life threatening illness and rape.

Message 98 of 108
Latest reply

@lyne-flyn wrote:

You do realise joanie that sometimes it isn't all about you. There is absolutely no comparison to a baby receiving an injection to prevent a life threatening illness and rape.

No comparison for an adult, or a child either.

Message 99 of 108
Latest reply

I was speaking about forcing adults to take the shots vaccines, injections, for the baby's sake. but you bring up a whole other thing with the baby, one who is too young to have a say in it. Again, I don't have the answers, but what if this baby grows up, hates their life because they don't believe in the vaccinne they recieved, and kills themself rather than have this immunity they don't believe in?

Message 100 of 108
Latest reply