A US Anti-vaccine campaigner wanting to come to Aus to give talks - your thoughts ?

aps1080
Community Member

This is going to be a heated argument.

A US Anti-vaccine campaigner wanting to come to Aus to give talks and some Dr's want to ban her.

This follow on from the mis representation of an anti Vacciner on a current affair show on the ABC the other night.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/health/doctors-want-to-bar-antivaccination-campaigner-sherri-tenpe...

Message 1 of 108
Latest reply
107 REPLIES 107

A US Anti-vaccine campaigner wanting to come to Aus to give talks - your thoughts ?

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

Controversial topic these days in Southern Oregon....the city closest to the California border, Ashland, a hotbed of liberalism, hasn't required school children to be vaccinated for years.  Right now there are 29 (at last count) cases of chicken pox in children, and almost a dozen whooping cough cases.  Lot of fighting on facebook, and I (naturally) contributed.  I pointed out that if it were pneumonic plague or smallpox, the anti-vacciners would be first in line for vaccinations.

The Ashland School District, last week, instituted a vaccination requirement for students.

As a kid growing up in Geelong, I had a neighbor girl who had contracted polio, and spent her life in an iron lung........

And there I thought that USA was leading the world in health and disease legislation.   Smiley Sad

Message 31 of 108
Latest reply

@***super_nova*** wrote:

@twinkles**stars wrote:

Very happy to listen to both sides and make my own educated decission. I am not anti vaccine but dobieve we are over vaccinated and more should educate themselves on vaccines and not simply accept what they are told.

BUT there are NO 2 sides in some cases.  100 years ago people believed that radioactivity is healthy.  There were various products sold that contained radioactive ingredients.  People went to spas where they bathed in radioactive water.  And a.r.s.enic was in medicines and tonics.  Women painting radioactive materials on hand of night glowing clocks used to lick the brushes  to get a good point, and were dying horrible death.  Would you also like to listen to some nutters telling you how good a.r.s.enic & radioactivity are for you to make "educated" decision?

As far as vaccination goes, we all know there are risks, but they are minute comparing to the diseases that vaccination protects you against.  Naturally, we will be improving on vaccines, and developing new ways to deliver, and new ways to preserve them and hopefully they will be safer and safer.  But people who do not vaccinate are danger to society, and should be dealt with as such.

50 years ago chest x rays were compulsory for everyone, even pregnant women.  Would anyone have one now without a good reason?

Why can't people understand that scientific research is not being done for fun?

Message 32 of 108
Latest reply

I dont see much of a heated debate here... 

All I will say is tell a mother with a vaccine injured child about these so called "minute" risks associated with vaccines.  Or speak to some doctors one in particular named Dr Isaac Golden  about the treatment of vaccine injured children...

People should have a choice and seeing as vaccines are drugs people should have to the right to blood screening to determine their risk level when it comes to injecting these drugs.  Of course most people will have little to no side effects from vaccines but there is a small percentage of children who will experience an adverse event following a vaccination some of which are life threatening, some are life changing...

Message 33 of 108
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:
Lol. Lots of posters complain that we should have freedom of speech but don't want to allow others that same right.

I haven't seen ANY debate on the freedon of speech part, as pointed out by second hand in the post above.

I would have thought more debate on that part would have occurred.

Article on both sides of the debate in the media today.

Free speech opens the door to extremists

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/free-speech-opens-the-door-to-extremists-20150107-12jcrj.html

First hand account from a person who was brought up by anti vaccers (from the article above).

"The irony is that anti-vaccinationists are usually the health-conscious. Amy Parker, now a mother-of-three, writes of her experience as the 1970s child of anti-vaxx health-nuts. Eating only organic, local and unprocessed, hers was a childhood low on fat, sugar and chemicals, high on water, exercise, fresh air and fish oil.

Yet, she writes, "I contracted measles, mumps, rubella, a type of viral meningitis, scarlatina, whooping cough, yearly tonsillitis, and chickenpox, some of which are vaccine preventable." In her twenties, after so many antibiotics, she was hospitalised with penicillin-resistant quinsy (the disease that killed Elizabeth 1) and contracted precancerous HPV (Gardasil being another of the 'evil' vaccines). Only a newfound regard for medicine, she concludes, put her life back on track."

Message 34 of 108
Latest reply

I have no sound at the moment.....so cannot watch but will once sound is restored.

Thanks for posting link aps.

I am not against vaccination as a procedure but I do have serious concerns with the politics of it, the procedures of purchasing and the quality control of serums during manufacture.

Message 35 of 108
Latest reply

@outdoorhunting1 wrote:

@azureline** wrote:
Lol. Lots of posters complain that we should have freedom of speech but don't want to allow others that same right.

I haven't seen ANY debate on the freedon of speech part, as pointed out by second hand in the post above.

I would have thought more debate on that part would have occurred.

Article on both sides of the debate in the media today.

Free speech opens the door to extremists

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/free-speech-opens-the-door-to-extremists-20150107-12jcrj.html

First hand account from a person who was brought up by anti vaccers (from the article above).

"The irony is that anti-vaccinationists are usually the health-conscious. Amy Parker, now a mother-of-three, writes of her experience as the 1970s child of anti-vaxx health-nuts. Eating only organic, local and unprocessed, hers was a childhood low on fat, sugar and chemicals, high on water, exercise, fresh air and fish oil.

Yet, she writes, "I contracted measles, mumps, rubella, a type of viral meningitis, scarlatina, whooping cough, yearly tonsillitis, and chickenpox, some of which are vaccine preventable." In her twenties, after so many antibiotics, she was hospitalised with penicillin-resistant quinsy (the disease that killed Elizabeth 1) and contracted precancerous HPV (Gardasil being another of the 'evil' vaccines). Only a newfound regard for medicine, she concludes, put her life back on track."

I was responding to the message in the OP............................ not any comments by posters about freedom of speech.

Re the children who have suffered vaccine injury, it appears that those parents should to suffer for the good of the rest.

Message 36 of 108
Latest reply

Azure

Sorry, I understood what you meant, I should have highlighted the 2nd sentance which was where themphasis was meant to be

"I would have thought more debate on that part would have occurred."

Message 37 of 108
Latest reply

Not sure it is the quality of the serums but the odd reaction some get and maybe a pre test needs to be done or a better one.

Message 38 of 108
Latest reply

@secondhand-wonderland wrote:

I dont see much of a heated debate here... 

All I will say is tell a mother with a vaccine injured child about these so called "minute" risks associated with vaccines.  Or speak to some doctors one in particular named Dr Isaac Golden  about the treatment of vaccine injured children...

People should have a choice and seeing as vaccines are drugs people should have to the right to blood screening to determine their risk level when it comes to injecting these drugs.  Of course most people will have little to no side effects from vaccines but there is a small percentage of children who will experience an adverse event following a vaccination some of which are life threatening, some are life changing...

Yes, totally agree, we do still have the choice now..... and medical practicioners should be more open to investigating those injuries, to safeguard those who will be vaccinated in the future.

Life changing for some families and life destroying for others.

Message 39 of 108
Latest reply

@outdoorhunting1 wrote:

Not sure it is the quality of the serums but the odd reaction some get and maybe a pre test needs to be done or a better one.

Or maybe those children are the ones who would have suffered the most serious effects of the disease if they had contracted it.

It would be interesting to know how many are killed by vaccination compared to how many are killed by the disease.  Somehow I think the disease wins.  I haven't heard of 7 children a year being killed by the CP vaccination, for example, nor have I heard of any new cases of polio. Whooping cough seems to take out more children than the whooping cough vaccination too.

Message 40 of 108
Latest reply