A community update?

cee-dee
Community Member

Hiya folks, long time no see but have to seen the update to the UK boards? Have a look at my links eh? One is to the Round Table, the other is to the Community Update.

Do you fancy having the same down here? It hasn't had a good reception in the UK so as your board layout is the easy-to-use layout I wondered what you thought of it?

The Round Table - The eBay Community

Community Updates - The eBay Community

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 122
Latest reply
121 REPLIES 121

A community update?

I was sure you were , but....

Was the other you know the one with the giraffe sheep?

Message 11 of 122
Latest reply

A community update?

@imastawka wrote:

This board Community Spirit is destined for the rubbish pile at some stage.

It was to be discarded some 4 years ago.

At that time a few members of the boards were invited to a private discussion, by an ebay employee, to discuss th changes they wanted to make to the boards, and they wanted / needed some input.

I was one of those invited.    Davewil and Lyndal were also amongst the invited. Sorry for dobbing, guys, but the time for secrecy has long passed.

I argued at the time that Community Spirit was necessary for some peoples lives. At the time, there were 2 women posting from their beds, tackling breast cancer.  They needed some place of comfort.   And that was here.

One of those women has since succumbed and passed.

A lot of people are housebound and need some company as well.

And so Community Spirit stayed, but moved to Groups, where a lot of people couldn't find it and gave up.

I see this new fiddling as the death knell here.

Why the need for SECRECY ?    ...........  I find that tad weird

Message 12 of 122
Latest reply

A community update?

I agree Stawks.....it is a pity that ebay ignored to opinions given by posters in that private discussion.

It has certainly destroyed the boards.....I can remember a time when you could come here any time and find a thriving discussion in full swing.

Because of the location of various posters there would be someone round 24/7 if you wanted company.

Another problem as I see it is the different standards of Moderation.   A new poster can come here and get away with saying the most outrageous things......things that would have the regular posters on an extended holiday.

I have definitely curtailed my posting here because of one or two posters who can be most unpleasant.

Message 13 of 122
Latest reply

A community update?

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I agree Stawks.....it is a pity that ebay ignored to opinions given by posters in that private discussion.

It has certainly destroyed the boards.....I can remember a time when you could come here any time and find a thriving discussion in full swing.

Because of the location of various posters there would be someone round 24/7 if you wanted company.

Another problem as I see it is the different standards of Moderation.   A new poster can come here and get away with saying the most outrageous things......things that would have the regular posters on an extended holiday.

I have definitely curtailed my posting here because of one or two posters who can be most unpleasant.

As can YOU Lyndal  .............

Message 14 of 122
Latest reply

A community update?

@davewil1964 wrote:

I was never invited. I know one person who was, but that wasn't Lyndal.

I was there Dave, and so was k1ooo.....not 100% sure about the owner of the giraffe sheep but I think she was.

Message 15 of 122
Latest reply

A community update?

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

Because they didn't want 200 opinions jumping all over each other probably

Lyndal, thanks for acknowledging that particular thread.

Message 16 of 122
Latest reply

A community update?

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

I was never invited. I know one person who was, but that wasn't Lyndal.

I was there Dave, and so was k1ooo.....not 100% sure about the owner of the giraffe sheep but I think she was.

The sheep owner was there, but I was referring to the Irish giraffe sheep owner.

I forgot about K1000

Message 17 of 122
Latest reply

A community update?

He'll love that - IGSO. lol

Message 18 of 122
Latest reply

A community update?

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

@imastawka wrote:

This board Community Spirit is destined for the rubbish pile at some stage.

It was to be discarded some 4 years ago.

At that time a few members of the boards were invited to a private discussion, by an ebay employee, to discuss th changes they wanted to make to the boards, and they wanted / needed some input.

I was one of those invited.    Davewil and Lyndal were also amongst the invited. Sorry for dobbing, guys, but the time for secrecy has long passed.

I argued at the time that Community Spirit was necessary for some peoples lives. At the time, there were 2 women posting from their beds, tackling breast cancer.  They needed some place of comfort.   And that was here.

One of those women has since succumbed and passed.

A lot of people are housebound and need some company as well.

And so Community Spirit stayed, but moved to Groups, where a lot of people couldn't find it and gave up.

I see this new fiddling as the death knell here.

That was one of the conditions imposed by the ebay member who convened the discussion.   Those of us who were invited had no say in the matter.

I believe it should have been an open discussion personally.

Message 19 of 122
Latest reply

A community update?

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

As can YOU Lyndal  .............

Can't say you are my favourite poster either but I was not referring to you in my post.

Message 20 of 122
Latest reply