A very interesting article.

‘Death of hope’ for young people who grow up with jobless parents

Young  people whose parents are both unemployed are less satisfied in school, less likely to be working part time or planning to go to university, and are highly worried about family conflict, a Mission Australia report has found.

The national Jobless Families Report, to be released today, shows there is a “death of hope” in jobless families, with about 50 per cent of young people in this group reporting a lack of confidence in their ability to get a job in their community.

The report found that, when compared with other youths, young people in jobless families were twice as likely to report feeling either dissatisfied or very dissatisfied with their studies, half as likely to be undertaking part-time or casual work and 15 per cent less likely to plan to go to university.

They were at least 10 per cent likelier to report family conflict as a major concern.

Young people from jobless families were also found to be twice as likely to rate their family relationships as poor, and nearly one in 10 intended to drop out of school before completing Year 12.

Those with at least one full-time employed parent reported the highest participation rates in part-time employment, 37.2 per cent, while those in jobless families reported less than half this result, at 18.3 per cent.

Janaya Harvey, 25, grew up in a jobless family. Initially, she left school in Year 9, but went back a few years later and completed Year 10.

Ms Harvey did not work for several years — but reached a point where she thought she wanted to “make something of herself” and work towards getting a job. A few years ago, she funded herself through a beauty course — but she still couldn’t get any work. Mission Australia helped her to study a Certificate III in aged care. Ms Harvey recently attained a casual position with a nearby aged care facility.

She said that because her parents didn’t work, finding a job and leading a normal life seemed ­abnormal to her.

“I used to look at my friends’ parents who worked and think ‘Why don’t my parents do that?’

“It used to make me uncomfortable to even apply for a job, I was just taught to live on Centrelink, I was stuck in a rut.”

Mission Australia chief executive Catherine Yeomans said the findings provided a disturbing insight into the widespread impact of unemployment on families.

She said youth unemployment was now double the national average.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: A very interesting article.

A young lad in this town was hired by a large well known car parts retail outlet which had just open up in early December.Apparently they didn't pay him a cent for three months before he quit.
Two weeks ago a bakery in this small town went into receivership.Four shops plus the bakehouse closed plus another two in nearby towns.About 50 people (full and part-time) tossed on the scrap heap.They were told on a Thursday that Saturday was their last day of employment.Rumour has it that their super payments weren't paid.That's a big hit in a small community and its probably going to be difficult for a lot of these people to get jobs in the near future.
Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Yes I am sure it is not just the children of unemployed. Our daughter works and goes to uni as well. She is the mum of the grandaughter.

Our son is now unemployed. His boss was not paying him. Doubt they paid his tax or super either. A lot of unemployed out there through no fault of their own.

I remember leaving school with a job to go to. Not like that now.

Good news is that our grandaughter has an interview for a hairdressing apprenticeship. Fingers crossed.
Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

I think the article was focusing on the emotional effects of being in a family that has lost hope, Boris. I nearly replied that obviously these people don't make up the bulk of people unable to get jobs, but realised that it isn't obvious to most people at all. It's sad that there is still stigma attached when going for job after job unsuccessfully is so soul destroying.

My sister, about to turn 50 has had her hours cut and has been applying for a number of jobs with no success. She is one of the underemployed so employers won't even have the impetus of a $10 000 grant to give her a job.
Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

I dont think there is much, if anything, in that article that is news to most people.
Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:
I dont think there is much, if anything, in that article that is news to most people.

It wasn't posted as news it was posted as an interesting article and I, for one, found it an interesting read.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

LOL @ news..info people already know from life experiences. I for one, found, nothing 'new' about that topic that I haven't already come across before.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply