AFL sees another sad example of agression

Andrew Gaff, Andrew Brayshaw and why this random act of AFL violence is particularly shocking

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-06/brayshaw-gaff-why-random-act-of-violence-is-shocking/10076978

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Andrew Gaff did not mean to hit Andrew Brayshaw in the head, West Coast coach Adam Simpson says

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-07/gaff-didnt-mean-to-hit-brayshaw-in-the-head-eagles-coach-says/...

Ah, so punching him in the chest is so much better?

i knda thought punching anyone on purpose was a bad thing, no matter where you hit them.

i think this idiot should be up on charges for assult resulting in significant injury.

being on a footy ground really makes it worse in my view, cant blame 'being drunk'

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

Ah, so punching him in the chest is so much better?

i knda thought punching anyone on purpose was a bad thing, no matter where you hit them.

i think this idiot should be up on charges for assult resulting in significant injury.

That will never happen as anything that happens on a sports field cops wont touch,(sporting fields is a great

breeding ground for cowards).

Our son played in his last game in a winning grand final side,(which they won easily) as the doctor

recommended that he not play again because with 10 minutes to go he was king hit from behind by the

leagues best and fairest who was known for doing it,(both umpires played for the same club that he did and

the "penalty" was a 3 weeks suspension because they spoke up for him).

This player did the same to others during the year yet got rewarded with best and fairest,(which everyone said

was and absolute joke as he always got top votes from his ex team mate umpires).

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Girl accused of Heathridge junior football attack blocked by court from playing, attending games

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-07/accused-junior-football-attacker-blocked-from-playing-by-court...

the police seem to be able to do it to a 13 year old girl, but not an AFL player?

lets hope his 8 match ban wont be his only punishment. a criminal record seems apropriate to me, plus a healthy dose of monetary compensation.

the sporting field should not be a safe haven for idiots to assult people.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

So the punch was meant for his chest?

If the punch was hard enough to break his jaw and dislodge teeth, a punch to the chest

with that much force could've stopped his heart.

Then the circumstances would have been much more serious.

The blow left Brayshaw with a broken jaw and three dislodged teeth.

He will not be able to eat solid food for the next four weeks

Suspension for 8 weeks doesn't cut it in my view.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/afl/west-coast-midfielder-andrew-gaff-suspended-for-eight-weeks-for-...

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

"Girl accused of Heathridge junior football attack blocked by court from playing, attending games

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-07/accused-junior-football-attacker-blocked-from-playing-by-court...

the police seem to be able to do it to a 13 year old girl, but not an AFL player?"

David, have you ever heard the phrase "There are commercial interests to protect"?

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

over the years there has been a lot of 'on purpose' assults during AFL matches to stop a player from playing well.

its about time those running the game woke up that its not ok and that suspending a player for a few games does not make it better.

every 'star' player has the same treatment, the extra knocks behind play ect.

people pay big money to go to games to see the stars, not see them assulted or knocked about until they cant play.

how many mums will see what happened last sunday and say my kids are not playing aussie rules.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

And untortunately I think there also people who pay money to go to the footy with the hope and expectation of witnessing a bit of biffo from the players.

It's all part of the fun. Smiley Indifferent

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

a huge part of the problem is the AFL gives a fine to players who decide to take the law into their own hands.

example: player A fells player B with a sloppy tackle, so players C,D,& E come to sort him out, creating a mellee.

soon we have half the players on the field in an all in brawl!

now the ALF look at the tapes and hand out fines to these extremely well paid athletes.

not ON, they players should be suspended. starting with the guy who is first to the mellee.

the on field umpire can deal with the guy who felled the player and if he cant the after match review will.

as long as its deemed 'part of the game' incidents like sundays will continue.

the excuse 'i ment to punch him in the chest' makes it worse, hitting an opponent anywhere is NOT ok.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

They now have the video umpire and they only need to look at the video and see that it was deliberate and

the player should've been suspended for the rest of the match,(make them play a player short and that

sort of thing will be curtailed a lot more).

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply