Adam Goodes Vs the spreaders of hate

We have people spreading the hate for everyone from the PM to the disabled and refugees everyday.

Today we have Adam Goodes, who truly lived up to his name.

Message 1 of 353
Latest reply
352 REPLIES 352

Re: Adam Goodes Vs the spreaders of hate

@gleee58 wrote:

@secondhand-wonderland wrote:

How loaded is all that? lol So even if those that boo Goodsey have a dozen reasons for doing so, none of which have anything to do with racism, it doesn't matter, just by booing an indigenous player you are being racist... any indigenous player.  What about the white players? Are we still allowed to keep booing them? If so then isn't that racist too?

So, please share with us what these other reasons are.

What are these dozen reasons?

Okay so a dozen was a tad over exaggerated.

No more so than the assumption that everyone that boos him is a bigot or racist though.

Does he get more free kicks?  No

he may not get more free kicks but he definately sooks for them alot, over dramatising the situation to make it look like he is hurt when he is not.

Is he a bad sport?  How did he win best and fairest if he is

I think he has changed a bit over the years. He did use his "elite player" status to humiliate, single out and eject a 13 y/o girl from the stands, thats an example of poor sportsmanship according to some people.

Why was he not booed before the AoY award?

I think it had something to do with him calling Australia day, Invasion day maybe.

Why was he not booed before the Racism stope with me campaign?

Maybe because people didn't know before the campaign how strong his views are on how racist he thinks Australians are.

Why was a considered a good sport and good player for 10+ years prior?

I think he still is viewed in that light by most people. He just seems to behave differently onfield in the last couple of years. It's rubbed some people the wrong way. He incites and provokes the crowd alot more. 

Message 211 of 353
Latest reply

I think Booing at any sport event shows Lack of breeding and poor sportsmanship.

Message 212 of 353
Latest reply

@*julia*2010 wrote:

Please point out which one isn't true:

read the comments.  a few readers

point them out.   

One reader points out that he disagrees with the writers stats about Canada. Maybe he is right although I doubt it.

But I was more interested in YOU ointing out the facts that were wrong from that list I provided.

Message 213 of 353
Latest reply

Tomorrow I will be going to watch Nambucca heads play Macksville in the minor semifinal of the group 2 league competition in the under 18's and the first grade..... lots of the players will come from Bowra as well.

50% of the players (at least) will be aboriginal... the crowd will be 70% "white' 29% "black" 1% Martian (there is no way the !st grade ref appointed came from this earth)..

There will be oodles and oodles of cheering and as much booing and cursing and the like.

As long as nobody adds a "jiga" to the front of the boo I guess I can take it that booing will be allowed and not be considered to have racially discriminatory undertones??

Anybody??

Is there a fixed crowd race ratio figure whereby a boo will not be considered to be a racially discriminatory statement.even if it's the other sides best player??

There will be a bit of "Porky.....av a go you black bars stand / White jesus".... GO BOWRA... JESUS and such (and worse) from both flavours ... If "black barstand" comes from me I am sure a koori friend or two will turn around, stare at me with steely glare and then utter "ya jesus" then grin like a split watermelon.

But I digress,.... I am going as a spectator, to be entertained, to admire the skill, to cheer for my team, to acknowledge great skill from both sides, but especially to boo the villains

..... on the other side....

when they get away with undetected illegal play...

but more probably just because I remember the last time they "got away with it", or, because they were awarded what I considered was an unfair scammed penalty...once... and ... as a fan I have a long... long memory when I need to and instant amnesia if it suits the teams cause.

I pay for the pleasure to barrack in the positive and scorn in the negative (did you notice that "I also go to the footy to get my dose of political comment" did not make my list on why I go to the footy?).

The day that I get thrown out of a game for nothing else other then booing just because I wanted too will be my last

day at the footy.

Game?... it's a game.... right?

There are winners and losers on the field, and cheerers and booers in the crowd, that's sport, it's that simple.

I'm a nob... but working in "enemy" territory at the moment so I have to keep on the low down tomorrow because I value

my front teeth

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Man Surprised

GO THE ROOSTERS

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/nambucca+nobs/keywords_top

http://www.macksvilleseaeagles.com.au/

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 214 of 353
Latest reply

woops ^^^^^^ should be the day after tomorrow for the footy... tried to wish Friday away but it won't budge...

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 215 of 353
Latest reply

But would you join the mob if you see them booing at a single player for the entire duration of the game, regardless of how he plays?

Message 216 of 353
Latest reply

@gleee58 wrote:

How loaded is all that? lol So even if those that boo Goodsey have a dozen reasons for doing so, none of which have anything to do with racism, it doesn't matter, just by booing an indigenous player you are being racist... any indigenous player.  What about the white players? Are we still allowed to keep booing them? If so then isn't that racist too?

So, please share with us what these other reasons are.

What are these dozen reasons?

Okay so a dozen was a tad over exaggerated.

No more so than the assumption that everyone that boos him is a bigot or racist though.

No reason there

Does he get more free kicks?  No

he may not get more free kicks but he definately sooks for them alot, over dramatising the situation to make it look like he is hurt when he is not.

Does he really?

Is he a bad sport?  How did he win best and fairest if he is

I think he has changed a bit over the years. He did use his "elite player" status to humiliate, single out and eject a 13 y/o girl from the stands, thats an example of poor sportsmanship according to some people.

So he was supposed to know the racial abuser was 13 even though she was rugged up and in a grandstand.  Should have superman eyes.

Why was he not booed before the AoY award?

I think it had something to do with him calling Australia day, Invasion day maybe.

Racist reason.  Many aboriginal people and other Australians refer to Australia Day as Invasion Day because that day celebrates the day their lands were invaded.  

Why was he not booed before the Racism stope with me campaign?

Maybe because people didn't know before the campaign how strong his views are on how racist he thinks Australians are.

Anither race based reason.  He should not take pride in his origin for fear of offending the rest.  He lives with teh recist undercurrent everyday. Who are we to insist it's not true?

Why was a considered a good sport and good player for 10+ years prior?

I think he still is viewed in that light by most people. He just seems to behave differently onfield in the last couple of years. It's rubbed some people the wrong way. He incites and provokes the crowd alot more. 

Yes, we do get upset when people speak out instead of pretending all is good.

The truth is that his speaking out about aboriginal issues has caused the bullies to retaliate and drongos to get on their racist bandwagon and that goes against the entire concept of the anti bullying campaign we're wasting money on.

Message 217 of 353
Latest reply

I'd rather that people drop all this race stuff anyway.

Proud to be black, proud to be Chinese, proud to be white or Indian, proud to claim some sort of particular racial identity even  when sometimes, that is not even the most dominant part of their mixed racial heritage.

What's to be gained by appealing to pride in an accident of birth? It's not an acheivement to be  black, brown, brindled or white. It's something beyond our control.

I'd rather peole drop all this racist b/s and if they have anything to be proud about, then how about showing pride in  personal achievement, and not in some random happenstance of fate?

Message 218 of 353
Latest reply

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/30/i-can-tell-you-how-adam-goodes-feels-every-indi...

Good article by Stan Grant.  

I have wondered for days if I should say anything about Adam Goodes.

My inclination is to look for common ground, to be diplomatic. Some of the fault is with Adam. Maybe heโ€™s been unnecessarily provocative. Racism? Perhaps. Perhaps the crowds just donโ€™t like him.

Yes, I could make a case for all of that. But there are enough people making those arguments and all power to them.

Hereโ€™s what I can do. I can tell you what it is like for us. I can tell you what Adam must be feeling, because Iโ€™ve felt it. Because every Indigenous person I know has felt it.

It may not be what you want to hear. Australians are proud of their tolerance yet can be perplexed when challenged on race, their response often defensive.

I may be overly sensitive. I may see insult where none is intended. Maybe my position of relative success and privilege today should have healed deep scars of racism and the pain of growing up Indigenous in Australia. The same could be said of Adam. And perhaps that is right.

But this is how Australia makes us feel. Estranged in the land of our ancestors, marooned by the tides of history on the fringes of one of the richest and demonstrably most peaceful, secure and cohesive nations on earth.

The โ€œwealth for toilโ€ we praise in our anthem has remained out of our reach. Our position at the bottom of every socio-economic indicator tragically belies the Australian economic miracle.

โ€œAustralians all let us rejoiceโ€ can ring hollow to us. Ours is more troubled patriotism. Our allegiance to Australia, our pride in this country undercut by the dark realities of our existence.

The articles continues on the Guardian site at the link posted at top of post.

Message 219 of 353
Latest reply

That Australians (all of them) can today continue to feel "challenged on race" shows just how far we have yet to go.

I understand that there remain some seriously challenging redneck racists in this country and that is why I say that games such as football, with its emphasis on tribal loyalties (the us and them spiel) is a part of the problem.

We need to de-emphasise the macho-aggression in our society and place more emphasis on insightful education in culture; philosophy and the arts for example, so that eventually racism in all its forms, dies a natural death.

Footy, pies, beer and spending the weekend watching our tribe team "thrash" their tribe team to howling cheers or cries of derision  is a "culture" which gravitates towards the lower end of the spectrum; and I posit that there  at least in part, lies the reason why we find it so difficult to eliminate racism here.

Message 220 of 353
Latest reply