Advice - Cleaning grout lines in ceramic floor tiles please

Last time I tried......I scrubbed so hard with steel wool that I scoured edges of floor tiles and took some of the colour off but got the grout clean!!

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

I hate to say it paints but iif you have scoured the edges of the tile so much that colour came off then I suspect that you have removed the glazed surface.

That means your tiles are now porous along the edges and where your grout is and will soak in moisture instead of repelling it. They are going to stain, discolour and become mouldy much. much quicker.

I would suggest that once you have cleaned the tiles, you leave them a few days to dry and then coat them and the grout with a penetrating sealer. Any tile shop should be able to sell this.

Message 21 of 23
Latest reply

Yes. I reckon so too ineeda. I was 'scrubbin' hard in that session. Thanks .....figured already that I will have to seal the grout.Cheers about tip in suggesting doing the tile edges too. Not too fussed about having damaged the tiles they will be replaced in next few years and have been damaged with chipping (bad quality) from things being dropped on them over the years. So many different tiles thorughout on floors done by several previous owners plus carpet. A dog's breakfast for variety LOL. Ho hum.....

.....* rifling though piles and piles of winning lotto tickets, selecting the most economical one for the floor tiling job....LOL.

Message 22 of 23
Latest reply

Cheers az.

Message 23 of 23
Latest reply