Alan Jones, time to go back to his cave.

Alan Jones continues criticism of Jacinda Ardern over climate change comments, despite rebuke from Scott Morrison

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-16/alan-jones-doubles-down-on-criticism-of-jacinda-ardern/114201...

is there any wonder we have domestic violence when guys like alan jones get paid stupid amounts of money to say things like this on top rating radio stations.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

True, but i'll still believe it when i see it.   John Laws from memory was even more offensive than him if possible, but he was never sacked.   

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

The bottom line though is that the drongoes he appeals to are not the ones bringing in the revenue. If the advertisers pull the pin it won't matter how big his audience is.

Bit of a catch-22 situation for the sponsors though. Where will they take their business, alternatively?

The Alan Jones Breakfast Show has top ratings, not just in Sydney, either, and he is not the only popular tallk-back radio host in the 2GB stable

"2GB is Sydney's most listened to station on every measure with a 11.8 point share of the audience during the week and an 11.5 point share of all listeners over 10-years-old."

Certainly, Adverisers can take their business elsewhere, but will have a huge drop in exposure.

https://ad-specs.adcentre.com.au/news/macquarie-radio-networks-2gb-and-3aw-number-one-in-sydney-and-...

I feel they might pull their sponsorship for a token amount of time until the storm blows over, then quietly come back.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

Oh, he's on thin ice alright.

Behind the scenes Jones’s on-air tirades have brought legal action which is never made public, but quietly settled by Macquarie lawyers. He is almost uninsurable now.

On Thursday the Nine CEO, Hugh Marks, who had just offered $113.94m to acquire the remaining shares in Macquarie Media, also signalled Jones was on thin ice when he said the company can survive without him.

“There’s a bunch of talented people there and, remember, Alan’s breakfast program in Sydney ... would be less than 10% of Macquarie Media [total revenue], let alone the revenue position of Nine,” Marks said at the results presentation.

“Alan’s a good broadcaster, Macquarie have made plenty of comments about their relationship and recent events so I won’t go into that but yes, of course, that business can survive the loss of any of its talent.”

What they can't survive is the loss of revenue.    Some companies have pulled the plug permanently

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/waves-of-fury-the-backlash-that-led-advertisers-to-desert-a...

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

And yet  chairman of Maquarie Network  Russell Tate has reinstated Alan Jones with a slap on the wrist

Notwithstanding his apologies, I have today discussed the matter with Alan and advised him that any recurrence of commentary of this nature will result in the termination of his contract,” Tate said in the media statement issued on Saturday night.

So he gets another chance despite  all the woe and financial loss to Maquarie he has caused. 

Radio can survive the loss of a celebrity . 

Melbourne 3AW (Maquarie)  not so long ago lost through death the much-loved Bruce Mansfield on Nightline.

Phil Brady remained and Simon Owens took over Bruce's spot.

It took a while but I believe Nightline has again reached #1 ratings in the time slot. 

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply