Anarchist Greens Urge Burning The Aus Flag

ANARCHIST Greens have declared war on Australia Day, calling for the Aussie flag to be burned, celebrations to be disrupted and protest graffiti to be sprayed on walls and roads as part of a sick anti-Australia campaign.

Federal Greens Leader Richard Di Natale yesterday refused to condemn the shocking demands being made by a group called Left Renewal — a far-Left faction of the NSW Greens.

In a Facebook post, Left Renewal incited its growing band of supporters to take part in “seven days of resistance in the lead up to Invasion Day” — an event organised by a group calling itself the “Warriors of the Aboriginal Resistance”.

Left Renewal, whose supporters include a number of rank and file Greens members, staffers and former candidates — including failed NSW Greens candidate Jim Casey — suggested activities during the week-long “resistance” include “stealing and burning the Aus rag” — a reference to the Australian flag.

It urged people to interrupt Australia Day celebrations, erect protest banners, spray paint walls and roads, as well as “weaving, painting up, make spears, dancing on country” and other activities.

Entire Article Here

What kind of people are these? Who's organising them, and why aren't the arrested for treason?

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Which National Day

@springyzone wrote:

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

What, exactly, do the Greens or the aborigines for that matter, think would have happened if the English had not settled here? Do they imagine for one second they would still have the entire country to themselves?

One might just as well say What if William of Normandy hadn't invaded England? Thae Battle Of Hastings also marked the start of a new era, (and quite possibly determined the course of world history) but  the Brits don't celebrate 14th October as their National Day.

Come to think of it England  doesn't  celebrate a National Day at all - not even the Queen's Birthday or St George's Day. 

Actually they do, you know. Many of them do try to fly the flag but it is worse than here in that some have been made to remove it as being offensive. I visit an English messageboard and it is a bone of contention, a lot of people aren't happy about that either.

Which National Day are you saying England celebrates: Batte Of Hastings Day? Battle Of Britain Day? D Day? VE Day? VJ Day?  Armistice Day? Guy Fawkes Night? People may go out and 'celebrate' on some  those days and there iare certainly memorial services and 2 minute silences on Armistice Day.  but none of them are National Holidays. 

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

Geeze no wonder so many poms wanted to come to Au, so they could get a few public hols lol

Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

Hahaha. They do have what they call Bank Holidays, but these don't celebrate any events of specifically  national importance similar to Australia Day, Bastille Day, Independance Day etc.

http://www.bank-holidays-uk.co.uk/

Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

Yeah know about bank hols, was married to a pom for 20 yrs, so you tend to pu a few pointers lol    

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

St George's day.

Things don't actually have to have a public holiday to be celebrated.

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

St George's day.

Things don't actually have to have a public holiday to be celebrated.

No, but  I imagine a National Day would need to be recognised as such by the country concerned -  as the one day of the year  that defined more than any other what that Nation was and what it stood for. There is no single day in England marked in such a way.

Here in Australia we are lucky enough to have three:

1) Australia Day - to celebrate the day England dumped several boatloads of convicts on the shores of Botany Bay thus founding the colony of NSW.

2) Anzac Day to remember the day when - at the behest of her colonial masters-  Australia landed troops on foreign soil in an ill-conceived and woefully planned  attempt at invsion, in a war that claimed the brightest and best of a whole generation of her sons. 

3) The Queens Birthday to celebrate the fact that the country owes allegiance  a foreign monarch. 

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

You may commemorate  Anzac day for those reasons, elephant, I dont  

Being non monarchist, I dont celebrate the queen's birthday at all

On Australia Day, I pause and reflect on how privileged I am to live in this wonderful country

Guess I'm not a cynical person

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

, but  I imagine a National Day would need to be recognised as such by the country concerned -  as the one day of the year  that defined more than any other what that Nation was and what it stood for. There is no single day in England marked in such a way.

Here in Australia we are lucky enough to have three:

1) Australia Day - to celebrate the day England dumped several boatloads of convicts on the shores of Botany Bay thus founding the colony of NSW.

2) Anzac Day to remember the day when - at the behest of her colonial masters-  Australia landed troops on foreign soil in an ill-conceived and woefully planned  attempt at invsion, in a war that claimed the brightest and best of a whole generation of her sons. 

3) The Queens Birthday to celebrate the fact that the country owes allegiance  a foreign monarch. 

-------------------------

I get the feeling that you have a bit of contempt for Australia and the days we celebrate. Very fashionable view in some circles.

But national days. for better or worse, reflect the past and what mattered to people then and what people remember today.

1. Australia day. Yes, we started off as a penal colony but that was not the only reason it was settled as a quick look at the history books will show. But regardless, what is is commemorating is that this was the start for a lot of us. This was the start of a wave of migration that led to a present day, vibrant Australia. Our history is interesting and it is worth remembering. We could equally have it on Jan 1st, the day of Federation.

2. ANZAC day. I think the day is for remembering the dead. You are right, the first world war had an enormous impact on this country. One in every two families was directly affected, suffered some loss. ANZAC day isn't about the rights or wrongs of battle but was about mourning and remembering those who died.

3. Queens birthday is a public holiday. It meant something once, not so much now, but people do like holidays and it does come at a terribly convenient time too, right in winter when there aren't many other public holidays. I would call it an historic holiday, perhaps not as relevant now but if you want to replace it, for heavens sakes pick some event from mid year. We don't need more holidays in Dec-Jan.

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

Relax folks, I'm only teasing. As I said before I love this countyr to bits; and while I may be merely a 'whinging Pom' my husband is a many generations Aussie and his ancestors have impecable credentials - they were chosen by the best British judges.  Smiley Wink Smiley LOL

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply