'Any work 4 me?'

Jobless man in roadside appeal for work as age discrimination persists

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-07/unemployed-perth-man-uses-roadside-sign-to-get-work/8575672

how sad is it we have people begging for a job on the streets, something usually only seen in poor areas of the USA.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

'Any work 4 me?'

@springyzone wrote:

What I am over is politicians who don't live in the electorate.

From what I can make out, a lot live in the inner city. How can they really know what we need or what is happening here if they don't live in the midst of it?

I do read about people ripping off centrelink in benefits etc but I am darned if I know how they do it as the one time I had to deal with them (for my brother) it was very difficult. My brother was on newstart (working part time) but taken to hospital with terminal brain cancer. I had a letter from the doctors to say he wouldn't be out but the man said he would only extend the time for 2 weeks & unless my brother came in or contacted them himself they would stop the allowance.

re your brother. well that sounds fair enough, after all, rules are rules. how dare your brother try the old, 'i'm dying' trick to get out of looking for work? centrelink, you cant fool them hey? they are all heart looking after the clients like their own family. i'm so lucky none of my family are working for centrelink.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'

of course there are fakes and thats terrible.

but to use some fakes to discredit the genuine poor actively trying to put bread on the table is a common argument.

When I see the same individual standing in the same spot, day after day after day.......then when he leaves, he gets in a brand-new Honda.........."Once burned, twice shy".

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'

26 years of continuous growth and we still have 6% unemployment,officially ,though in reality it's probably closer to 10%. Something's not working is it?
Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'

@davidc4430 wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

From what I can make out, a lot live in the inner city. How can they really know what we need or what is happening here if they don't live in the midst of it?

I do read about people ripping off centrelink in benefits etc but I am darned if I know how they do it as the one time I had to deal with them (for my brother) it was very difficult. My brother was on newstart (working part time) but taken to hospital with terminal brain cancer. I had a letter from the doctors to say he wouldn't be out but the man said he would only extend the time for 2 weeks & unless my brother came in or contacted them himself they would stop the allowance.

re your brother. well that sounds fair enough, after all, rules are rules. how dare your brother try the old, 'i'm dying' trick to get out of looking for work? centrelink, you cant fool them hey? they are all heart looking after the clients like their own family. i'm so lucky none of my family are working for centrelink.

I did have to have a cynical laugh at that 'all heart' bit.

On the whole, most of the people I dealt with at centrelink were very polite & I do understand they have to be careful, follow procedure.

But the man my brother dealt with was opinionated. A doctor recommended a procedure for my brother that would have put him out of action for a few weeks (this was just before the terminal cancer diagnosis). He took a letter in to centrelink & this same man said the procedure was quite unnecessary, he knew a much smaller procedure he should be having.

My brother's response was he was wasted at centrelink, someone with his expertise was needed in the hospitals.Smiley Very Happy

So when I hear of people getting an easy run with centrelink I wonder how, as my brother had a hard time.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:
26 years of continuous growth and we still have 6% unemployment,officially ,though in reality it's probably closer to 10%. Something's not working is it?

Yes, everything's working just the way it is designed to. Smiley Sad

In our free market capitalist economy, full employment would lead to rampant inflation as the greedy purveyors of both needs and thneeds continue to jack up prices until the "market" protests that they cannot bear any more exploitation and keep their hands in their pockets rather than buy.

There's a whole lot of info on this (Google is your fiend) and about the way that employment/unemployment ratios are managed by Govt to apply the brakes to inflation or twitch the throttle and keep it ticking over at a calculated and predictable rate.

Govt's who claim they strive for full employment are just plain outright lying to us and relying on our collective ignorance about how the whole rotten system works.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'

@springyzone wrote:

@davidc4430 wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

I did have to have a cynical laugh at that 'all heart' bit.

On the whole, most of the people I dealt with at centrelink were very polite & I do understand they have to be careful, follow procedure.

But the man my brother dealt with was opinionated. A doctor recommended a procedure for my brother that would have put him out of action for a few weeks (this was just before the terminal cancer diagnosis). He took a letter in to centrelink & this same man said the procedure was quite unnecessary, he knew a much smaller procedure he should be having.

My brother's response was he was wasted at centrelink, someone with his expertise was needed in the hospitals.Smiley Very Happy

So when I hear of people getting an easy run with centrelink I wonder how, as my brother had a hard time.

Smiley LOL

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

'Any work 4 me?'