Arts and Crafts helpful information and general conversation

lalbo-81
Community Member

Hello, everyone, I'm Lal. My family is filled with artsy people young and old, and we welcome any and all information about our projects! We'd like to read about yours too, if you'd like to share, and we can all help each other. 

I'll start with my granddaughter's present project of restoring an antique easel I bought for her. Domino and Debra gave me great information on the process of "gilting", I will try to transfer it here.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Arts and Crafts helpful information and general conversation

Just a queston Lal -you mentioned the piece was wood - all wood ???

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

The frame and legs yes, but I think the brushtray and the feet may be bakelite, or possibly ceramic. Those all need to work too, although I personally think the gouges and nicks give it character. She thinks the tray may be ivory though. 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

You know - given the age & history of the piece - unless put into the hands of a good restorer - I'd be leaving it & loving it the way it is.

Some DIY fixing could take away the integrity of the original.

Can you do a pic would love to see it.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I'll ask her about getting a picture here, since it is hers now. And she worries about protecting my privacy, since my home is ..recognizable, shall we say. 

I may be able to find something similar online, though. I worry about her doing it herself too, but she refused her dad's offer to have it professionally done. It's a thing with newly legal adults, lol, they are so stubborn about their independence. Woman LOL

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

LOL - what - The White House.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Thank goodness, no, lol! That place is way too big to clean! 

Today is Halloween, and 3 of the grandchildren are here building candy chutes for our church, and for my front door. I am packaging individual bags of candy, sealing them and wiping them down with sanitizer as a precaution. Each bag has a small bottle of hand sanitizer too, since hybrid school starts next week. 

And I am making BBQ ribs so I have bones to gnaw on, since I am dressing as Baba Yaga, lol! 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Now that Halloween and The Day of The Dead is past, we're looking at our next holiday, Veteran's Day next Wednesday.
If the weather is good, I think that I will hang my father's flag....
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply