Australia Cashless Society by 2022

"Cash is predicted to make up only 2% of all payments within the next five years.

If you still pay for your morning coffee with a crisp $5 note, you’re a rare breed and clearly missed the “cash is no longer king” memo."

Link 

"Prime Minister Scott Morrison and his government introduced legislation to parliament in September that could make it illegal for Australians to pay for purchases over $10.00 in cash.

A senate committee is currently open to submissions from the community.

The task recommended by the Black Economy Taskforce, with those who support it claiming the bill’s purpose is to crack down on illegitimate activity, from tax evasion to money laundering. Why, after all, some may ask do we even pay with cash at all?"

Link 

�� ....A cashless society means no cash. . Zero. . 
It doesn’t mean mostly cashless and you can still use a ‘wee bit of cash here & there’. 
Cashless means fully digital, fully traceable, fully controlled. I think those who support a cashless society aren’t fully aware of what they are asking for. 
A cashless society means:

* No more tuck-away cash for those preparing to leave domestic violence.
* No more purchases off marketplace unless you want to risk bank transfer fraud.

* No more garage sales.
* No more cash donations to hungry homeless you pass.
* No more cash slipped into the hands of a child from their grandparent.
* No more money in birthday cards.
* No more piggy banks or tooth fairy for your child.
* No more selling bits & pieces from your home that you no longer want/need for a bit of cash in return.
* Less choices of where you purchase based on affordability.

What a cashless society does guarantee:

* Banks have full control of every single cent you own.
* Every transaction you make is recorded.
* All your movements & actions are traceable.
* Access to your money can be blocked at the click of a button when/if banks need ‘clarification’ from you which could take weeks, a hundred questions answered & five hundred passwords.
* If your transactions are deemed in any way questionable, by those who create the questions, your money will be frozen, ‘for your own good’.

And before anybody slams this post ... don’t go shooting the messenger .. 
I’m sharing it because maybe we all need to take off our blinkers. 
Forget about cash being dirty. Cash has been around for a very, very long time & it gives you control over how you trade with the world. It gives you independence.

If you are a customer, pay with cash. 
If you are a shop owner, remove those ridiculous signs that ask people to pay by card. 
Cash is a legal tender, it is our right to pay with cash. 
Banks are making it increasingly difficult to lodge cash & that has nothing to do with a virus.

Please 

A senate committee is currently open to submissions from the community.

Message 1 of 114
Latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

Re: Australia Cashless Society by 2022

@icyfroth wrote:

Thank you. You are now the third person who has become fixated on the missing zero, which was unforturnately lost in the translation.

I agree it's misleading. 

But it's not the point of the OP.

The point of my post I have highlighted it twice in my OP is that the public can have a say about it;

"A senate committee is currently open to submissions from the community."

So if you object to it, you can make your objections known, and perhaps influence against the decision of the government to implement it.

Would certainly warrant a protest about it.

The article was written last year.  If the senate committee was taking submissions from the community back when the article was written, I doubt they still are.  You are waaaay behind the times and love shutting the stable door long after the horse has bolted, like you said we should all sit back and wait and see how the virus situation developed in Australia before closing borders, etc.  I guess you were right on that score - the virus was all just a storm in a teacup and hasn't affected anything anywhere in the world.

Message 21 of 114
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:
Most people wouldn't even be bothered...

Back in the 70s there used to be a saying ....  "What's wrong with them, is there something they put in the water?" I used to hear it in movies and made for television movies as well. Hey some great films back then too. There was Hawaii 5-O with Jack Lord, Kam Fong, Al Harrington and James McArthur etc.. And the theme played by the amazing Carol Kaye . And there was Wonder Woman with Lynda Carter.  Speaking of Lynda Carter, she was in an obscure but thought provoking film called The Last Song . The amazing Ronnie Cox was in it too. People were different back then and a lot more discerning.

Anyway, back to the subject. Yeah people just don't really bother about anything until the realize what's eventually happened. Cash means freedom and it also means flexibility. But alas I think you're right. People are too caught up in what they're trying to do in their lives. When do they have time to sit down and think about issues like this? The people like yourself who are aware of things don't need to do that. I can envisage a time in the not too distant future where folks may have trouble buying a cup of coffee or getting a burger unless they pay via electronic means.  There's a few good documentaries on line about cashless society.

Message 22 of 114
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

Back in the 70s there used to be a saying ....  "What's wrong with them, is there something they put in the water?" I used to hear it in movies and made for television movies as well. Hey some great films back then too. There was Hawaii 5-O with Jack Lord, Kam Fong, Al Harrington and James McArthur etc.. And the theme played by the amazing Carol Kaye . And there was Wonder Woman with Lynda Carter.  Speaking of Lynda Carter, she was in an obscure but thought provoking film called The Last Song . The amazing Ronnie Cox was in it too. People were different back then and a lot more discerning.

Anyway, back to the subject. Yeah people just don't really bother about anything until the realize what's eventually happened. Cash means freedom and it also means flexibility. But alas I think you're right. People are too caught up in what they're trying to do in their lives. When do they have time to sit down and think about issues like this? The people like yourself who are aware of things don't need to do that. I can envisage a time in the not too distant future where folks may have trouble buying a cup of coffee or getting a burger unless they pay via electronic means.  There's a few good documentaries on line about cashless society.

Aware of it when?  As has been pointed out, the article referred to was written in October 2019 but icy is only now bringing it to our attention.  Is that what you'd call being on top of things?

Message 23 of 114
Latest reply

@tangledstitches wrote:

@4channel wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

Aware of it when?  As has been pointed out, the article referred to was written in October 2019 but icy is only now bringing it to our attention.  Is that what you'd call being on top of things?

Yes it's been red-flagged for at least a cpl of years, tangled, but Aussies don't seem to be concerned.

It's not going away, much as ppl would like to ignore it. Thinking "can't happen in our neck of the woods". It can, and it is.

In fact,  the more there are other issues, like drought, bushfires, viruses, the public will be easily distracted from issues which may have a more, or at least a similarly disastrous long-term effect on future generations.

The point is, you, as a citizen, still have a voice to use against it.

Will you use it, or will you "shoot the messenger"?

Message 24 of 114
Latest reply

Well, I maintain that icyfroth ((someone who I disagree with strongly on some issues and agree with strongly on others)) is a person who is aware of things and obviously one who doesn't waste her time watching Big Brother or The Kardashians etc.. So the article was written 9 months ago. Well, what's in a date? Anyway, I didn't know about it and from the posts here neither did the other folk. So I applaud her for bringing it to our attention KUDOS to icyfroth for doing so. At least she cares enough to find this info for us.

Message 25 of 114
Latest reply

tangledstitches
Community Member

Re: Australia Cashless Society by 2022[ Edited ]

@tangledstitches wrote:
in reply to 4channel

Aware of it when? As has been pointed out, the article referred to was written in October 2019 but icy is only now bringing it to our attention. Is that what you'd call being on top of things?

Another thing, if many of us haven't heard of it, I wonder how many people have had their say? Has there been any debate about this? Has the public's opinion been made known. Also, what are your thoughts on this tangledstitches?

Message 26 of 114
Latest reply

Let's just shoot the messenger. lol

Message 27 of 114
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Well, I maintain that icyfroth ((someone who I disagree with strongly on some issues and agree with strongly on others)) is a person who is aware of things and obviously one who doesn't waste her time watching Big Brother or The Kardashians etc.. So the article was written 9 months ago. Well, what's in a date? Anyway, I didn't know about it and from the posts here neither did the other folk. So I applaud her for bringing it to our attention KUDOS to icyfroth for doing so. At least she cares enough to find this info for us.

What's in a date?

Maybe that the Senate inquiry has already approved the measure. In February.

So the date becomes relevant when it is about something that has already been decided.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-28/cash-ban-bill-set-to-pass-after-senate-inquiry-approves/12011...

Maybe icy should have posted this when it was relevant. And you should have spent 10 seconds determining the relevance before you jumped onto the bandwagon.

Message 28 of 114
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

tangledstitches
Community Member

Re: Australia Cashless Society by 2022[ Edited ]

@tangledstitches wrote:
in reply to 4channel

Aware of it when? As has been pointed out, the article referred to was written in October 2019 but icy is only now bringing it to our attention. Is that what you'd call being on top of things?

Another thing, if many of us haven't heard of it, I wonder how many people have had their say? Has there been any debate about this? Has the public's opinion been made known. Also, what are your thoughts on this tangledstitches?

The inquiry received 2,659 submissions by early December.

It's not hard to find information on the internet. You seem to be able to do it for your conspiracy theories, why not for more mundane stuff?

Message 29 of 114
Latest reply

"Conspiracy theories" LOL

BTW: How many people would know about this ?

ad hom again. Ho hum *Sigh*

Message 30 of 114
Latest reply