Australia's Frogs Need Your Help

imastawka
Honored Contributor
2022 FrogID Week 11 – 20 November

Take part in Australia’s biggest frog count! Our frogs are under threat from habitat loss, disease and climate change. Recording frog calls with the FrogID app will help provide our scientists with valuable data for the protection and conservation of frogs.

Download the free app and register now. Remember, every call counts!

August 2021 alert: Frog die-off across Australia

The Australian Museum’s Herpetology department is working closely with Australian Registry of Wildlife Health and government biosecurity and environment agencies to understand the scale of the mass frog deaths across Australia, leading the research to understand the likely causes.

If you observe a sick or dead frog, please email your observation (including photos and location information, if possible) to the Australian Museum’s FrogID team at calls@frogid.net.au who are helping respond to the outbreak.

We have been listening to a frog living in next door's fountain for a number of weeks now.

I have identified it as a Pobblebonk (Yep, that's right) Commonly called an Eastern Banjo Frog, because it sounds like a banjo when you pluck a string.

We call him Jeremiah (not my vid) -

I will be submitting the recording tomorrow.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Sounds fascinating. I want to hear this recording.

There might be some frogs at the nearby lake/reserve.

The most fascinating frogs I have ever seen (but not in person)  are the chocolate frogs (the cocoa frog) of Suriname.

countessalmirena_0-1668339627645.png

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I often listen to frogs on my white noise machine. They are lovely!

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

bryzen
Community Member

Have an abundance of Eastern Banjo Frogs,

in the garden and all around.

Had a Striped Marsh Frog in the shower recess for a few weeks,

despite putting it back in the garden,

it somehow made it's way back in again.

Have also spotted a few small Green Frogs,

whilst gardening,unsure what there called.

With all the rain,i reckon they'd be making a resurgence.

Exodus 8 ESV?

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I absolutely love frogs.  I can hear frogs croaking outside right now. We’ve had a carp load of rain, with a lot of water sitting around. The frogs and ducks have moved in on lake janeababe 😂

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I absolutely love frogs. I can often hear them in the creek behind my place, but I've never seen them. The tadpoles are black, so assuming the frogs are too. I love going down and standing on the bridge and hear them calling (I'm assuming for a mate).

My all time favourite frogs are the green tree frogs. Sadly, I don't think we get them where I live, but I love them. I remember as a kid seeing them on the banana trees at my great uncle's banana plantation between Coffs Harbour and Nambucca Heads. I also used to see them where I grew up in Newcastle. I don't live there anymore. 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply