Australian Families Living On Less Than $18 Per Day

A national study by the Salvation Army has revealed shocking rates of poverty with survey participants surviving on an average of less than $18 a day, after covering housing costs.

The survey of 2400 people who visited Salvation Army centres across Australia found their average weekly income was $305 but they spent $180 on accommodation, leaving just $125 to cover all other expenses including food, transport, clothing and utility bills.

Across all households, those on the Newstart allowance had the least money after housing costs, with childless couples managing on just $9.57 a day.

An estimated 2.5 million Australians live below the poverty line, including 603,000 children.

Entire Article Here

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Its pretty shameful that those on welfare are treated as flea-ridden sub-humans by the government - past and present - who deserve to live either in poverty or close to it. I am fortunate that the mortgage is paid off or else I would be struggling, and that's with recieving DSP.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

gleee58
Community Member

@icyfroth wrote:

A national study by the Salvation Army has revealed shocking rates of poverty with survey participants surviving on an average of less than $18 a day, after covering housing costs.

The survey of 2400 people who visited Salvation Army centres across Australia found their average weekly income was $305 but they spent $180 on accommodation, leaving just $125 to cover all other expenses including food, transport, clothing and utility bills.

Across all households, those on the Newstart allowance had the least money after housing costs, with childless couples managing on just $9.57 a day.

An estimated 2.5 million Australians live below the poverty line, including 603,000 children.

Entire Article Here

That much?  You mean they haven't found a way of squeezing more out of these people yet?

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Yes they have.It's called Joe's Second Budget.
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:

Could use them for research projects, such as - how close to the edge can we push them before they topple over.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Yet media makes out those on welfare are living a life of luxury and bludging, but if you have a minimum wage job you are classed as poverty stricken. I guess it depends which perspective you are pushing. Poverty is poverty regardless of source of income.

As for having to wait before eligibilty for job seeker allowance what do they want to do have a generation turning to crime as a sole income?

You can be in poverty on a minimum income, lose your job then its nothing for you dear until you are eligable.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I read that and then I read this:

Aussies love of cruising hits record heights

AUSTRALIANS love of cruising hit record heights in the last year, with more than a million people setting sail.

The 2014 Cruise Lines International Association report released today, revealed 1,003,256 people took a cruise in Australia, an increase of 20.4 per cent or 170,000.

The milestone comes six years earlier than expected, as a result of double-digit year on year growth since 2002.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-ideas/aussies-love-of-cruising-hits-record-heights/story-e6frfq...

Seems that some of us are living on more than $18 per day.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@village_person wrote:

I read that and then I read this:

Aussies love of cruising hits record heights

AUSTRALIANS love of cruising hit record heights in the last year, with more than a million people setting sail.

The 2014 Cruise Lines International Association report released today, revealed 1,003,256 people took a cruise in Australia, an increase of 20.4 per cent or 170,000.

The milestone comes six years earlier than expected, as a result of double-digit year on year growth since 2002.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-ideas/aussies-love-of-cruising-hits-record-heights/story-e6frfq...

Seems that some of us are living on more than $18 per day.

Welfare benefits are very beneficial.

I've been on one of those cruises. It's like Housos meets The Biggest Loser.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

When I lost my job in 1993 I was out of work for my first time since leaving home. My rent was $280 per fortnight and the unemployment benefit was $283.80 plus $72 rent relief. Luckily as a collector I had many things to sell. Otherwise I'd have ended up in a hostage situation at the local charcoal chicken joint
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply