Black Friday??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

why do we here in australia have Black Friday Sales?

not that i believe anything being sold on Black Friday are any cheaper than any other "sale" during the year.

but all the Pitch is 'oh you gotta buy now or miss these prices!'

another import from the good 'ol USA, so why didnt we go the whole way and have Thanks Giving too?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Black Friday??

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Yes indeed.   Good ol' USA with their Black Friday sales.

It's their equivalent of our Boxing Day sales.  Sales on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

But we certainly don't need them called Black Friday Sales.

Black Friday here in Australia means bushfires - death and destruction!

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Black Friday??

martinw-48
Community Member
Because we follow the capitalist pig war monger nation where ever it goes or whatever it does
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Black Friday??

I don't agree. The black friday sales started because the finances of a business in the US finished in the black, and not in the red as they had for years before. To celebrate they started the (in the) black friday sales. Why shouldn't Australian businesses who are making (in some cases huge) profits follow suit and give something back to the consumers. I just took advantage and purchased an item I really need for half the price of what it is currently selling for in the big stores. I am grateful.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Black Friday??

I don't like the name either, to my mind it has connotations of something sinister, even if you didn't associate it with bushfires.

But I think the name will probably stick, it is just a marketing strategy here in Australia. 

I've noticed it mainly online and in certain types of stores.

Some of the prices are a little bit cheaper. I'm currently gritting my teeth a little bit. I have been working on a family history book (just for members of the family) and printed it a few weeks back at 45% discount. Multiple copies. Then this week with the black friday sales, it was 50% off.Smiley Frustrated

This is typical of my luck buying or selling, I might add.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Black Friday??

I agree Thankgiving will be next. We are slowly becoming Americanized, much to my disgust. I think we should keep our own identity and not try to act like America's little brother. Now we are hearing terms like "downtown". The term "bucks" has been around forever, which is rather amusing because it originated from the word "greenback" which we don't have in this country.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Black Friday??

I know we have the yuan. In a few years it will be Brack Flyday. 😄
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Black Friday??

Wherever there is money to be made, the retailers seem to hop right onto it.

Just look at Halloween. It wasn't a thing in this country till very recent years but I am sure the shops see it as a chance to make a bit more profit on sweets sales etc

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Black Friday??

It's even on here, flashing on my screen. Black Friday save 20%.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply