Budgie nestiing box advice needed.

G'day. I need some advice about nesting boxes because I'm getting conflicting information from different people in town. I'm a member of my towns' Men's Shed & I was elected to make budgie nesting boxes that we sell, along with other items we make, at one of the local shops. They are made out of 19mm pine.

I have been making these for a while & the only directions I was given to start with, was to make a box with an opening lid on top. 
I was also directed to make single, double & triple boxes, & it's the last two of these where the conflicting information comes in that I need advice on. A single box is easy, one nest one bird. The way I make the doubles & triples, which is the way I was told to make them, is like this.

Double box: An oblong box twice the width of the single with 2 entry holes each with perch, 2 hollows & a dividing wall between them. The dividing wall is 8mm thick lining board.

Triple box is triple the width of the single with 3 entry holes with perches, 3 hollows & 2 dividing walls to make 3 compartments.

Okay, so the person who first told me to make them is happy with this, but one of the other members (who has budgies) says it's wrong & I should make the doubles & triples like a multi story building. One compartment above the other & not side by side.

Now I'm being told by someone else in town (who also has budgies) that I should NOT be making the doubles & triples because the birds won't be happy being right next to another bird, even though there's a dividing wall between them. He says only one bird will occupy a double, & only the 2 end compartments will be occupied in the triple, leaving the middle compartment unoccupied.

So what's the deal here, as I'm really confused now. Are the double & triple boxes the right thing to make or not. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrew. 

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Budgie nestiing box advice needed.

Hi Andrew, Have you contacted any Bird Clubs or Breeders  / Fanciers ? I think they would be your best shot. ( IMO ) 🙂 

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Perhaps a Breeders Association would be best to advise.  Dr Harry used to be a Budgie Fancier.

I view that a single would be best.  Then the breeder has the option to stack or place side by side   

The cleaning of double/triple boxes would be an issue for me while the other nest is occupied.

DEB

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks to all who answered so far. Yes, I joined a budgie forum & asked the question. Have quite a few viewed it but not replied, so thought I would ask here as well. Again, thanks.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

I am not a breeder but just 'putting my budgie hat on here'.....if I were sitting on my eggs or the protective one of the pair.....I would prefer my own single box thank you........would not matter if it were stacked or side-by-side ....I would choose and select which nesting box I wanted based on......whatever!!......

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Wouldn't it be a decision depending on space availability.

In suspended aviaries space is going to be less therefore a 2 or 3 on top of each other would be more useful where as in a standard aviary you have plenty of room to have them side by side in a row.

I don't think it's going to matter to the budgies, I would say it's purely a matter of choice. Why not make some of each.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Awseome budgie insight paints LOL

I agree with Harley - make both and see which sells best, most popular.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

In my Budgie hat LOL

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply