Buy My "Yes" Vote

Warnings have been issued to the eBay seller trying to flog their say in the same-sex marriage postal survey for $1500.

A Sydneysider who is selling their ballot paper on the same-sex marriage postal survey has been warned they face possible jail time or a $2000 fine, with an independent senator saying it's making a mockery of the exercise.

The eBay listing, which has been taken down, was published on September 18 and titled, Buy My Vote.

The bid started at $1500.

"What is this plebiscite worth to you", the seller writes in the ad description.

"The reason I'm selling my vote is because either way I don't care, but thought there are people who do."

The seller promises part of the proceeds of the auction will go to help kids battling cancer.

The Australian Bueau Of Statistics, which is conducting the survey, told SBS World News it considers any submission of a survey response that's been bought or sold a criminal offence.

The offence against the Census and Statistics Act 1905 carries a maximum penalty of $2,100. The Criminal Code offence carries a maximum penalty of 12 months imprisonment,” a spokesman said.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/09/08/same-sex-marriage-sydneysider-slammed-hawking-vote-eba...

Woman LOL

No way this plebiscite is going to truly reflect the opinion of the general public. It's going to be so skewed.

Message 1 of 150
Latest reply
149 REPLIES 149

Buy My "Yes" Vote

It all seems so similar to the republic vs royalty vote

and wasnt it the liberals who organised that too?

Message 2 of 150
Latest reply

Buy My "Yes" Vote

No matter how I try to look at this issue, I can't work out what right heterosexual people have to vote on the right of gay people to marry. It implies heterosexuals represent the norm in the community and have the entitlement and right to make judgement and have input to the lives of gay people. I don't think heterosexuals are that superior. I've known a number of gay people who are just as religious, are upstanding citizens and are genuinely good people. Sure, there are others that don't rate so highly, but one doesn't have to be gay to qualify for that list.

Message 3 of 150
Latest reply

Buy My "Yes" Vote

@not_for_sale2017 wrote:

No matter how I try to look at this issue, I can't work out what right heterosexual people have to vote on the right of gay people to marry. It implies heterosexuals represent the norm in the community and have the entitlement and right to make judgement and have input to the lives of gay people. I don't think heterosexuals are that superior. I've known a number of gay people who are just as religious, are upstanding citizens and are genuinely good people. Sure, there are others that don't rate so highly, but one doesn't have to be gay to qualify for that list.

Too True

We supposedly live in a Democracy - all of us.

Message 4 of 150
Latest reply

Buy My "Yes" Vote

How do you get "buy my yes vote" as in the OP Icy??

it just said 'buy my vote" which means either yes or no

i'm glad all auction sites have been alerted to it though,  buying/selling votes makes a mockery of the democratic process

Message 5 of 150
Latest reply

Buy My "Yes" Vote

Good pick up Deb

Worth repeating, I reckon

@debra9275 wrote:

How do you get "buy my yes vote" as in the OP Icy??

it just said 'buy my vote" which means either yes or no

Message 6 of 150
Latest reply

Buy My "Yes" Vote

The "no" vote means just as much as the "yes" vote to many, so I just wondered why Icy would assume it was a "yes" vote being sold Stawka

Message 7 of 150
Latest reply

Buy My "Yes" Vote

Mmmmm      Freudian slip?

Message 8 of 150
Latest reply

Buy My "Yes" Vote

Freudian slip...buy it now on ebay, approx $20

Message 9 of 150
Latest reply

Buy My "Yes" Vote

@imastawka wrote:

Mmmmm      Freudian slip?

Nah it was no slip, it was deliberate. Call it journalistic licence if you like lol.

Message 10 of 150
Latest reply