Can we still enjoy dated movies in the #MeToo era?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-14/rewatching-old-movies-in-the-metoo-era/9644700

a very interesting question about movies from the past.

but what of movies of the future?

will they become so politically correct no one will watch them anymore?

movies where the audience falls asleep after 20 minutes unless they have left the theater first.

i doubt there is a movie made that hasnt got something in it thats 'just wrong' on some standard of measure.

and we do love to pick holes in plots, so i guess picking faults in other areas will be next.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I have always avoided reading too much about actors because the information is often disappointing and ruins my image of them. However, the drama since Weinstein has been hard to avoid. One thing that's been driven home for me is that these people are not stars. That is a figment of my imagination. They are just people with a potential for good and bad, strength and weakness.

I think the glow and mystique of Hollywood has been damaged. I recently tried to watch Kill Bill, but couldn't get into it because I kept thinking about the revelations made about Tarantino by Uma Thurman. In a way it's disappointing because the fantasy is no more. But in another sense, I'm glad I know the (apparent) truth because I don't want to be suckered into supporting a sick and perverted industry.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Of course you can still enjoy movies from another era. People need to understand that movies from past times will use language and ideas that were considered ok then but not now. There is also the need to separate perpetrator from the film it self. I don't see how the metoo movement has affected the types of movies made at all. It sounds like some people having a bit of a whinge because they cant get away with sexual harassment anymore. 

Is the point these '''its all too politically  correct nowadays "whingers are trying to say that we need sexual harassment  and for it to be silenced to make good movies? or that sexual harassment victims are spoiling their viewing?

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply