Census, Does a form get sent to you in the mail..

or?

I haven't recieved anything.

& I don't want to fill it out online. Heard last time it got hacked.

Signatures suck.
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Census, Does a form get sent to you in the mail..

The letter sent gives the census number and temporary password for completing the census online.

Joz, if you're worried about completing the census online, you can request a paper form by calling the 24-hour automated service on 1800 130 250.

Just be aware that there's a deadline for completing the census by Thursday 12th August.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I think I have read somewhere that if you want a paper form you have to request it. They don't send it automatically in the mail. They only send a letter with a username and a temporary password to complete the census online.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

The letter sent gives the census number and temporary password for completing the census online.

Joz, if you're worried about completing the census online, you can request a paper form by calling the 24-hour automated service on 1800 130 250.

Just be aware that there's a deadline for completing the census by Thursday 12th August.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Just over a week ago here (NSW) 

I did'nt request it be mailed though

There were 'the same' envelopes sticking out of most letterboxes in surrounding streets the same day

Not sure if it is area related or Covid related or something else

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I've only received the form with the code to do it online and I finished it a few days ago.

I do wonder about a couple of things though. (off topic)

First off, in the past, people were asked to fill it in on the night of the census or next day at least.

I'm wondering how accurate some of the census forms will be, given a lot of them were filled in a week or two beforehand.

Some people may die before the census date.

Others may not be home on that date after all. For instance, my daughter has 2 children and has done her census but with lockdown, one of the children will probably be here Tuesday night so I can take him for home schooling Wed & Thursday (his mother works). I don't suppose it matters greatly, as he will be shown as at his usual residence.

Can I just encourage people though to allow their census details to be available after 99 years?

Unless you do genealogy, you just won't realise how valuable that information could be to future generations of your family down the track. I know I am hanging out for the 1921 UK census release next year!

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

You have to request one to be sent to you. I just got mine. Just to clear something up for you. The site wasn't hacked at all.  It was a "denial of service" event, which happens when too many people are trying to access the same website at the same time, and as a result the security software sees it as an attack (which it is not) and shuts the website down to protect it.  A similar scenario in the real world would be if thousands of people arrived at your house and you opened the door, you would slam the door shut and think you were under attack wouldn't you?  When we in this household heard about the plan to have everyone do their census online on the same day, we had a good laugh and knew beforehand what the result would be.  The ones claiming "cyber attack" obviously don't have a clue how computer security works.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I didn't have to request a form.

I live rurally and ole mate and his Mrs just turned up down the driveway about 2 weeks ago and hand delivered  a paper form.

I have a mailbox up near the road.

There is an online number and password on the form or an reply paid envelope if I want to fill out the form

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply