Churches offer sanctuary to asylum seekers

Good on them.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/churches-become-potential-flashpoint-after-off...

Churches have taken the extraordinary step of offering sanctuary to asylum seekers facing deportation in the wake of a High Court verdict, raising the prospect of police raids on places of worship and possible charges for clergy.

Ten Anglican churches and cathedrals have invoked the ancient Christian tradition to offer protection to the 267 people - including 37 babies - facing imminent transfer to Nauru after the court on Wednesday upheld the legality of the government's offshore processing regime.

"This is a hugely significant action for any Australian church to take. Historically churches have afforded sanctuary to those seeking refuge from brutal and oppressive forces," Dr Catt said on Thursday.

"We offer this refuge because there is irrefutable evidence from health and legal experts that the circumstances asylum seekers, especially children, would face if sent back to Nauru are tantamount to state-sanctioned abuse.

"This fundamentally goes against our faith, so our church community is compelled to act, despite the possibility of individual penalty against us."

Dr Catt called it a "fledgling movement".

"What we expect to happen in the course of the day and the next few days is that many churches from many denominations will sign up," he said.

The sanctuary offer came as the United Nations urged Australia to put the interests of children first.

The UN Committee on the Rights of the Child believes Australia has an inadequate understanding of the rights of asylum seeker children.

"This decision by the High Court greatly concerns us as these children and their families face a great risk in being sent to a place that cannot be considered safe nor adequate," said committee chair Benyam Mezmur.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 55
Latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Can anyone look at these photos and not feel pain:

Nauru detention centre: Labor, Greens demand investigation into claims of sexual abuse against women and children

Labor and the Greens are demanding an investigation into claims of sexual abuse against women and children inside the Nauru detention centre.

Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young said women inside the centre were regularly required to strip and exchange sexual favours with guards so they could have access to the showers.

She said there were also allegations children had been forced to have sex in front of guards at the centre.

"The culture inside the Nauru detention camp is toxic," she said.

[...]

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-30/greens-leader-milne-says-female-asylum-seekers-at-nauru-fear-r...

Look at the childern in the photos; forced to carry placards and signs against their wishes. See the blood oozing from their wounds, wounds inflicted by brutal guards. Look at their bent and broken bodies. It is vile. I wonder what the death toll is on Nauru; a once tropical paradise but now resembling a charnal house.

Message 31 of 55
Latest reply

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/premier-mike-baird-and-victorian-premier-daniel-andrews-tell-malcolm-turnb...

NSW Premier Mike Baird has supported his Victorian counterpart's call to take in asylum seeker children rather than return them to Nauru, saying Daniel Andrews is "a good man".

Mr Baird said NSW was also "prepared to help" but put the onus on Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull to make a request.

Message 32 of 55
Latest reply

Is that even legal? to post a confidential letter from a MP?

Message 33 of 55
Latest reply

moonflyte
Community Member

Would these so called bashing, rape and torture perpetrated by illegal immigrants on other immigrants?

Message 34 of 55
Latest reply

No. it is not illegal and has been released to the public by Daniel Andrews himself.

The ACT chief minister has said that he will also offer sanctuary. This continues to gather momentum and makes feel proud of my country.

Message 35 of 55
Latest reply

@djilukjilly wrote:

Would these so called bashing, rape and torture perpetrated by illegal immigrants on other immigrants?

Would that make a difference? 

Message 36 of 55
Latest reply

Who are these illegal immigrants? Illegal immigrants get deported. The churches, and others, are offering sanctuary to the 267 refugees and asylum seekers currently in Australia because of the recent High Court ruling. A large proportion of them are children and infants. Many of the children have been going to school here, making friends, learning the language etc. They've been kept safe.

This is not about illegal immigrants but legal refugees and asylum seekers, many of whom are little kids.

Message 37 of 55
Latest reply

The Queensland premier is now on board.

Message 38 of 55
Latest reply

I musn't leave out the 61 authors who signed an open letter to Turnbull and Dutton   that was brilliant.

Message 39 of 55
Latest reply

moonflyte
Community Member

If they were legal illegal immigrants then they would not be on Nauru.  

If they are genuine refugees than they would be granted a visa to live in the wider community.

They are not legal so that is why they are in detention and they will not accept anything else but Australia that is the reason they have been there for a while, and that is the reason they will be deported back to Nauru.

Message 40 of 55
Latest reply