Computer problem: Why can't I drill down anymore?

artforartssake
Community Member

I don’t seem to be able to drill down into some major websites anymore. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

For example, I can log into my bank’s website and see all my account balances but then I can’t drill down to see the transactions. I can get onto Gotalk’s website to see my home page but then can’t drill down to select my service to see the balances. I’ve also noticed that my Yahoo calendar does not display properly. It only shows the times of the appointments, not the details. 

I have a Toshiba laptop that’s 3 yrs old. It runs on the Win7 operating system with Internet Explorer ver 9 as my browser. As far as I can see, apart from this problem, it’s in perfect condition and all programs run normally. I use McAfee protection software which regularly scans the disks and tells me that my computer is safe.

I have used another laptop computer on the same broadband account and it works fine. I’ve also checked my internet usage and I’m well within my limits (only used 50% with 2/3 of the usage month gone). I don’t think it’s anything to do with “popup blockers” either. If I turn them off it doesn’t make any diff.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 55
Latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

I would try a different browser and see if that resolves the problem. 

If it fixes the problem then clean your cache in your fave browser and if that does not fix it  reinstall your favorite browser. 

If it does not then it is either the computer or even your internet connection... call your ISP.

I had found in the past McAfee did not protect me as well as I liked.. I now use Bullguard. 

I also use a few programs to clean the laptop up on a regular basis. Tuneup Utilities, malwarebytes, Bullguard also does a regular defrag.. 

Message 2 of 55
Latest reply

artforartssake
Community Member

thanks for the quick response.

I tried installing Firefox and yes it does fix those probs BUT unfortunately, my wife is not happy with Firefox as she's so used to using IE and can't get used to the new browser.

Also, Firefox seems to have its own problems eg: no matter what I set my home page to it always defaults to something called "search.bearshare.com"

So I guess ideally I'd like to go back to using IE

How would I reinstall it or do those other things you suggested?

Photobucket
Message 3 of 55
Latest reply

have you tried system restore?

Message 4 of 55
Latest reply

artforartssake
Community Member

no. How would I do that?

PS also find Firefox slower than IE

Photobucket
Message 5 of 55
Latest reply

no. How would I do that?

PS also find Firefox slower than IE

Windows 7, go to action centre find system recovery and select system restore.

I', not on win 7 at the moment so can't quite recall the exact sequence. Sys restore will ask you to select a restore point then show a list, select the most recent or next date and restore. Comp will restart after.

Message 6 of 55
Latest reply

and yeah, I dumped firefox from 7 because it was slow and limited

Message 7 of 55
Latest reply

I don' know much about computers but I would recommend that if you do use restore you back up your system before you do it

Message 8 of 55
Latest reply

System restore only undoes anything that has changed in the last few days. I find it good for touch pad issues.

Message 9 of 55
Latest reply

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Try this page... it will help you repair IE 

Do not do a system restore unless you know what you are doing.. it can make changes that you do not want to have happen. 

And unless you have it setup right you can restore your system back to when you first purchased it.. 

I have mine turned off and only do a system restore point when I want to make changes that I am unsure of. 

I have Google Chrome and love it.. 

Message 10 of 55
Latest reply