Cost of living (Nov 2022)

I know that the cost of living has risen over the years, but sharply in the latter half of 2022, so I thought we could post helpful tips for easing these costs.

I don’t want this thread to become a blame game about who caused what to increase the cost of living, just hints to help those who may be struggling.

Post your suggestions here, or post your experiences if trying the suggestions.

Message 1 of 91
Latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

Yes , quite often half price cooked chickens offered in the evening.  My guess is they do not want to keep in-house cooked food overnight for health reasons and so encourage quick sales.

Just a food item I check in passing if i happen to be shopping at that time of the evening.

Message 31 of 91
Latest reply

If you happen to own a car with low enough market value and are seeking comprehensive insurance, supermarket offered car insurance can be great value as premiums can often be significantly offset by stores purchases. 

Message 32 of 91
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

Mobile phone plans

Want a mobile plan that is greatly discounted, or free?  Read on.

In short, if you are a WW shopper who uses WW as your mobile phone provider you can get 10% off one shop per month (up to $50 saving).  You can also get discounted WW gift cards.  Pay for your shopping using a discounted gift card and you save even more than 10%.

WW have changed their $150 Long Expiry SIM plan from 6 months to 12 months.

They also have a special offer at the moment of $10 off the $150 plan, with 100GB of data.

If you don’t need much data on a phone plan then this $150 $140 SIM is great value as you also qualify for 10% off a monthly shop (after 45 days on the plan).

The $10 off runs til the end of January 2023.

Spoiler
Screenshot_20230116_123720_Chrome.jpg

Message 33 of 91
Latest reply

I saw a segment on the Channel 9 Today Show this morning about reward cards.

They explained a Woolworths Everyday Rewards Extra savings measure.  I then saw on my google feed a Channel 7 webpage article about this WW Everyday Rewards Extra.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/woolworths-shoppers-jaw-dropping-finnd-two-days-after-becoming-everyd...

You can pay $7/month OR $59 annually to upgrade your WW Everyday Rewards to the Extra status.  The $59 equates to just $5 per month so it is better value that $7/month, BUT you are locked in for the year.

https://www.woolworthsrewards.com.au/extra.html

Benefits include:

- first month is free trial, you get billed in second month

- 10% off one shop per month

- 3 x Rewards points on every shop

- exclusive subscriber-only free products, offers and promotions

This is a good way to save more on WW shopping if you do not want to sign up to a WW Mobile Plan that I posted about in earlier posts.

Message 34 of 91
Latest reply

Benefits include:

- exclusive subscriber-only free products, offers and promotions

-------------------------

I guess the question I have is can you choose which shop per month gets the 10% off.

I'd be really annoyed if I normally spent eg $100 a week on groceries but they gave me 10% off for a time when I just dashed in for a bottle of milk.

Message 35 of 91
Latest reply

Yes, you can choose.  We choose which shop based on how many of our higher priced items are on special that week, and add lots of non-perishables like toilet paper.

We've been using it since it started in the middle of last year.

The 10% off is for 1 shop per month at Woolworths, and 1 shop per month at Big W (which we rarely use as there's none nearby).

Message 36 of 91
Latest reply

Good question Springy.

Seems it a shop of your choice - instore or online.

Screenshot_20230122-090614_Chrome.jpg

Message 37 of 91
Latest reply

Thanks. I should have looked at the link but just asked as I normally shop at Coles and Aldi. Mind you, there is also a woolies within a few steps of both of them but on the whole I find it slightly dearer there (though it does seem to have a bigger range).

I will send the link on to my two daughters though as they both shop there.

We used to have a Big W at the local shops too (I am Endeavour Hills) but it closed down a couple of years back and we got K mart instead. It's okay but I liked Big W.

Message 38 of 91
Latest reply

It works well for us, as we live outside a small town with only a Woolies and a small IGA.  

We stock up at Aldi when we go to a larger town, and either Kmart or Big W depending which way we go.

We've also been getting "direct to boot" lately, as they had $10 off your first shop, and then offered us a discount for the next shop if we spent a certain amount - every little bit helps.

Message 39 of 91
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

You can pay $7/month OR $59 annually to upgrade your WW Everyday Rewards to the Extra status.  The $59 equates to just $5 per month so it is better value that $7/month, BUT you are locked in for the year.

https://www.woolworthsrewards.com.au/extra.html

Benefits include:

- exclusive subscriber-only free products, offers and promotions

thank you to those members who have posted in reply to this WW Everyday Extra savings measure to give a fuller picture of how it works.

I signed up for Everyday Extra a few days ago.

Went shopping today and when all items were scanned the checkout person asked me “Would you like to use your 10% off on this shop?”.  I said yes and saved $13.99 on my shop.  ALSO, I got triple points which came to 3412 points.  The triple points meant I got 2275 extra points . . . which is worth $11.37 in Everyday Rewards.

So having paid $59 to upgrade to WW Everyday Extra just days ago I saved the equivalent of $13.99 + $11.37 ($25.36) today by upgrading . . . and this is during the one month free trial of Everyday Extra.  I should be able to recoup my $59 AND save hundreds over the course of the year.

If you have a WW Rewards card and get just 3 X $10 Rewards a year that would become $90 on the Everyday Extra . . . which easily covers the $59 annual fee.  The rest of the savings would be like cash in your pocket.

Be sure to download the WW app and link your Everyday Rewards card because you then get “boosters” each week though the app (you have to click “Boost” for them to work).  I got 5X points boost on Fruit & Veg this week and 10X points boost on some other items.  When the 3X points for being in Everyday Extra kicked in a $140 shop earnt me 3412 points whereas it would be 140 points with no boosted items.

Another offer I got through the WW app was to spend $50+ in a single shop for last week and this week to get bonus 3000 points (equal to $15 in Everyday Rewards).  My shop today was the second week so I will son get the 3000 points added to my card.

7BEE3C89-FCC6-42ED-8496-3B5CD5253BEB.jpeg            Screenshot_20230123-173809_Woolworths.jpg

Message 40 of 91
Latest reply