Cost of living (Nov 2022)

I know that the cost of living has risen over the years, but sharply in the latter half of 2022, so I thought we could post helpful tips for easing these costs.

I don’t want this thread to become a blame game about who caused what to increase the cost of living, just hints to help those who may be struggling.

Post your suggestions here, or post your experiences if trying the suggestions.

Message 1 of 91
Latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

Thank you for the advice K1 - I have signed up - $59.

My weekly shop is around $250 - $300 - the savings are obvious.

Message 41 of 91
Latest reply

k1ooo, is the 10% off in addition to the 10% off one gets monthly with having insurance through Woolworths or other 10% off benefit? That would make it doubly good for anyone who already had a 10% discount.

Message 42 of 91
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

What are you buying?   Gold bars?

There's only 2 of you (sometimes 3)

My weekly shop is usually $100 - $120 - only 2 of us.

I need to spend $100 for free delivery and sometimes I struggle to reach that amount, so only purchase when the need arises.

I won't be joining.

Message 43 of 91
Latest reply

imastawka, would Woolworths Delivery Unlimited subscription be of use/interest for you? It means unlimited free deliveries for orders over $50 (but I note that this applies to same day or next day orders - which must mean no threshold if you place the order for day after tomorrow, say). It’s $119 annually with 30 day free trial. You also get double Everyday Rewards points.

Message 44 of 91
Latest reply

Countess, I have Delivery Unlimited - my cost $107 p.a (Seniors)

The $50 spend I believe is for Mon - Fri deliveries?

I like to have deliveries any day of the week, so I think(?) I have to have $100 spend.

I'll look into it.

Message 45 of 91
Latest reply

Anyone here who’s an RACV member?

You can get up to 13¢ a litre off at the EG Ampol petrol stations by combing a daily RACV voucher (5¢ off) plus Everyday Rewards member discount (4¢) plus spending $5 in store (5¢ off).

Link: https://www.racv.com.au/membership/member-benefits/member-discounts/automotive/fuel-vouchers.html

Message 46 of 91
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

k1ooo, is the 10% off in addition to the 10% off one gets monthly with having insurance through Woolworths or other 10% off benefit? That would make it doubly good for anyone who already had a 10% discount.

I would imagine that the 10% Everyday Extra and the 10% for Insurance/mobiles would both be available.

My wife and I have both got WW mobile long expiry SIMs, and I have the Everyday Extra on another card.  I signed up for Everyday Extra on my wife’s Rewards card linked to her phone plan.  I’ll come back and let people know if she gets the 10% off twice during the month.

For anyone thinking it is getting complicated having so many cards/discounts it can be made simple.  You do not have to have the physical card at checkout.  You can open the WW app on your phone and use the image of your card in the app.

If you have multiple cards you can use screengrabs of the cards kept in your picture gallery. The beauty of using an image of your cards is that you can add text to the image to help in knowing which card to use and when (shown in spoiler)

Spoiler
This is a screengrab showing how my rewards card appears in the app (I have removed the barcode and replaced it with random vertical lines)

15127303-6242-4D8A-AB3F-9C3DC5E58D6A.jpeg

and this is the cropped screengrab of that screen with additional notes as reminders and a large “272” in green to easily show which card it is

6EE6F52B-61FE-49E3-8CC4-9C4E4AB19E17.jpeg

Message 47 of 91
Latest reply

this shows the image of the card linked to my mobile plan on the WW app (barcode & card number removed).

Screenshot_20230123_210555_Gallery.jpg

Message 48 of 91
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

you are welcome dom, you will really ramp up the points with that sort of spend.

In the WW app with a linked card you can choose to get $10 off a shop when you get to 2000 points or to bank your $10 off until closer to Christmas to ease the financial burden at Christmas.  Bank multiple $10 discounts to build the amount substantially.  Clicking on your available discounts gets you to where you can make this choice (clicking takes you to a WW Rewards website to authenticate your account).

7EE301BF-874D-4BD0-BD6E-43A547678667.jpeg

If you are a Qantas Frequent Flyer member you can convert 2000 WW points to 1000 Qantas points.

Message 49 of 91
Latest reply

I’ve just been looking at Woolworths Pet Insurance. Sacré chat roux ! It’s considerably cheaper than any other pet insurance I’ve seen, even including cover for annual routine care.

May be worth it for anyone who would like insurance for their beloved pets.

10% discount for this also applies for monthly shopping.

Message 50 of 91
Latest reply