Covid-19 survivors post

Just wondering if any other people here has suffered Covid-19 and what were your experiences

As for me i tested positive recently via pcr and RAT

I was self testing for the previous 3 or 4 days prior with neg results as i suffered painful flu like symptoms minus joint pain so tested for Covid daily  , while mitigating against the unknown illness by changing diet and isolating

Morning of day 4 tested neg using RAT then later tested pcr which was reported pos next day . Tested by RAT which showed pos , so awaited my fate .....

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Covid-19 survivors post

Back in March, I woke up one morning with razor-blades feeling in my throat. Tested neg by RAT before going to work. (Compulsory for us to RAT everyday before shift)  

By 9pm that night, I wasn’t feeling any better, tested With RAT again, and it was positive. 
I was very unwell. My whole body ached like I was crippled with arthritis. I had a headache for 6 days straight.  I slept and slept and slept. I hardly ate because I didn’t have an appetite. But I still had smell and taste.
I was coughing ALL the time, and coughing up phlegm 🤢 but I’d have coughing fits almost like whooping cough, it would make me retch. 

At day 7,  went and had a PCR because I needed a neg to go back to work, even though I felt like krap. Still positive. 
At day 10, RAT still positive and at day 12, RAT AND PCR was still positive. 
I wasn’t getting any better. Work asked me to get a GP review, which I had to do by Telehealth. They sent me for blood work and chest X-ray. Our local hospital had never had a covid positive person for bloods or X-ray before so they had to have a meeting to figure out how they were going to get this done.  Anyway, the next day I had them done, my bloods showed I was still showing covid-19 load and my X-ray showed a lung infection.  
I ended up still testing positive for 16 days and I had a total of 4 weeks of work.  

I now have long covid. I look ok on the outside but on the inside I feel like I’m 120yrs old.  My bones hurt something awful. I’m still coughing, even after 4 weeks of ABs. I don’t sleep well at all, I’m exhausted all the time.

I’ve had more time off work this year, than I have in any other of the 36yrs of employment. 

I only have one good lung, so I think if I hadn’t have been vaccinated , I may not still be here.  

Covid affects us all differently. My husband had it bad for 4 days. By day 7, he was symptom free and out of isolation.  He has absolutely no side effects or residual after effects either.  

Luck of the draw I guess.  

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 2 of 47
Latest reply

Covid-19 survivors post

Nephew of my best friend had it quite badly this year. Her mother had it mildly, no residual effect. Her uncle had it very badly and has long COVID.

Another friend had it so badly that she feels lucky to have survived. 

One set of neighbours had it - she had it mildly, he had it badly. They’re okay now. Her parents also got it, very badly. Long COVID.

Another neighbour got it mildly. Has long COVID.

Friend/colleague got it very badly. He’s denying that he has long COVID but I am aware that he has symptoms that I would class as long COVID. He is one of quite a few who were infected at a group bbq during lockdown, and of that group 9 or 10 died as a result.

Mother of another friend got it and died of it in 2020.

Message 3 of 47
Latest reply

Covid-19 survivors post

"9 or 10 died as a result " 

that is horrific

Was that bbq incident ever publicised - i do not recall reading of that

makes me wonder

Airborne transmission - riding on bbq smoke particulates ? Guys tend to gravitate around the bbq grille

Message 4 of 47
Latest reply

Covid-19 survivors post

Yes the aging - is what I experienced half way through infection , woke up suddenly looking 30 years older in my face and back of hands - like leathery skin and unhealthily gaunt

But fortunately was passing and by the end of that day i was restored to normal , taking into account loosing 5kg in less than 1 week ( including pre-covid illness ) which means only 15 years older ...

Since recovering I am slowing regaining form - but weight reduction is stable at 5 kg under

( which i am grateful of as is deep tissue  , but preferred  under less menacing circumstances )

I noticed a tendency to dehydrate 

Also insomnia

Message 5 of 47
Latest reply

Covid-19 survivors post

Last day of isolation today for me. I started randomly sneezing last Thursday arvo like I had hay fever after a long" business" lunch at the pub.  On Friday morning a bloke contacted me that I had done a rego check for the day before (which obviously involves driving their car) and told me he had tested positive.  By the time I got home Friday arvo I had Flu symptoms and a sore throat. Within 2 minutes of  putting the drops onto the RAT  there were 2 thick red lines. I had a couple of pretty rough days and have been getting better since to being symptomless today. I have had 3 shots and a Flu shot recently. I have underling asbestosis and  COPD and take trelegy daily. In the first days of COVID I was alcohol wiping the common contact areas in all vehicles I test drove ie Steering wheel, gear sticks, keys belt buckles etc. I will have to go back to those protocols given the current outbreak.  Can't be sure that old mate gave it to me.... maybe I gave it to him or another asymptomatic customer gave it to both of us. I have done oodles of regos over the past week or so as vehicles are often purchased around eofy or pre as a tax write off.  Apparently symptoms appear 1 to 6 days after infection.

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 6 of 47
Latest reply

Covid-19 survivors post

@rogespeed wrote:

"9 or 10 died as a result " 

that is horrific

Was that bbq incident ever publicised - i do not recall reading of that

makes me wonder

Airborne transmission - riding on bbq smoke particulates ? Guys tend to gravitate around the bbq grille

It took place over the Grand Final weekend last year, in the south-eastern suburbs (Melbourne). It was not specifically referred to apart from “an event”. 

The attendees gathered in defiance of public health orders and were sceptical about vaccination and even about COVID.

I don’t know for sure how many people attended, but I think around 50. This was during Delta.

Message 7 of 47
Latest reply

Covid-19 survivors post

I have never tested positive, but I basically live with constant COVID symptoms (asthma, fatigue, insomnia, pain etc.). This has been normal for me even before COVID. When I feel particularly unwell (worse than usual) I take a RAT test - all clearly negative so far. which is not surprising because I am hardly in contact with anybody, but you never know...

Message 8 of 47
Latest reply

Covid-19 survivors post

So sorry this has happened to you janeababe;  awful that you have ended up with long covid;  here's hoping that it doesn't last too much longer and that you regain your health and strength again really soon xxx

You too rogespeed, wishing you all the best x

To others here who are suffering with it, and/or have lost friends/relatives, I am so sorry.

Message 9 of 47
Latest reply

Covid-19 survivors post

Awee….. thank you Tasfluer. 
Very kind of you to say that. 🙏

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 10 of 47
Latest reply