Cryptic Stuff

While it was done some years ago I see, I thought I would try a cryptic crossword-like thread for fun and to try and boost a little more interest here. I made up the below question for anyone interested in such a challenge. I thought the first person to get it correct might come up with the next question. A clue though - if you copy one from a newspaper or magazine etc., the answer can often be found on the internet. I can explain the answer for anyone who asks. 🙂

The prisoner at the cave would not stand for the electrically charged droplets of water.

(12 letters)

Message 1 of 8,441
Latest reply
8,440 REPLIES 8,440

Re: Cryptic Stuff

LOL, it's Tamine countess, and it's not listed as obsolete by Wiktionary, The Free Dictionary or Encyclo.co.uk (English Encyclopedia).

At first the compound was for tammy.

(6 letters)

At first the - T

compound - amine

was for tammy - Tamine

Tamine

amine

chemical compound

Any member of a family of nitrogen-containing organic compounds that is derived, either in principle or in practice, from ammonia (NH3).

Britannica

Tamine

Noun

Tamine (countable and uncountable, plural tamines)

Alternative form of tammy (“type of woollen cloth”)

Wiktionary

Message 4201 of 8,441
Latest reply

You pulled the tammy over me with that one! I puzzled over it for quite a while. Nicely constructed clue and I take my hat off!

Just for your info… here’s the screenshot from the online complete OED to which I subscribe… I suppose also to demonstrate I hadn’t imagined it, which is always possible with a lousy headache.

E13BCD0A-4B61-447A-A379-A88EC2D9FA5D.jpeg

Message 4202 of 8,441
Latest reply

To be honest, I'm not too keen on obsolete words being used unless it is indicated in the clue. I think I have chosen obsolete words a couple of times in the past (in this thread), but have included the word "old" to indicate obsolete. Now I have given away a strategy. But it somewhat depends on the reference source (Website) used for the definition. And we don't know which sites each of us are referencing for meanings etc. Although I do know you like OED. 😜

Message 4203 of 8,441
Latest reply

I took a look at the OED definition of "Tamin" which is listed as obsolete. "Tamine" is a Form. To be fair, I looked at definitions of Tamin and the first site I checked (English - Collins Dictionary) listed it as obsolete. Even Spell Check for this post is underlining Tamin as needing correction (but not Tamine). I have searched three pages of Mr Google's definitions for "Tamine" and could not find a source stating it is obsolete.

Message 4204 of 8,441
Latest reply

Yes, I do something similar if using obsolete words.

And yes… OED is a wonderful source of words that have been neglected, have their own flavour, etc.

I’ll take a few minutes before posting the next cryptic (which I don’t deserve as you practically served it up).  Headache and neck have got worse and I feel hellish.

Message 4205 of 8,441
Latest reply

Hope you are feeling better soon countess. 🙂

Message 4206 of 8,441
Latest reply

Right… here we go.

Heard you, Frenchy, at last mistaking hussy for rerun (4,2)

Message 4207 of 8,441
Latest reply

Play it?

Message 4208 of 8,441
Latest reply

No, unfortunately not.

(I was afraid it would be very quickly solved…)

Message 4209 of 8,441
Latest reply

HINT

Heard you, Frenchy, at last mistaking hussy for rerun (4,2)

_ e _ _   _ _

Message 4210 of 8,441
Latest reply