Do you see and feel sun burning hotter in 2014 vs years ago?

.....if I go for a walk at 7am in the morning I feel the sun starting to 'burn' on my arms and shoulders and get sunburn after 10 minutes if I am not wearing long sleeves!!. Ten years ago I could go for a half an hour walk at 9.30am without burning-at same time of the year just wearing a short sleeve Tshirt.

What do you think?

Message 1 of 128
Latest reply
127 REPLIES 127

A large cut and paste which I am guessing you have not followed P007.  I would guess this because if you did appreciate  the science associated with ozone  depletion you would not have dug up an article that apropos this topic is ancient, I do wonder at the relevance of  world ozone map - 1979 ,  world ozone map - 1991, & ozone levels 1995, hint     Montreal Protocol 1987'

Fast foward to modern scientific times! and:

"The Montreal Protocol is working: There is clear evidence of a decrease in the atmospheric burden of ozone-depleting substances and some early signs of stratospheric ozone recover"

"Statistical analysis from 2010 show a clear positive signal from the Montreal Protocol to the stratospheric ozone. In consequence, the Montreal Protocol has often been called the most successful international environmental agreement to date."

Science is an ever advancing subject P007,  and in some branches relying on 15 year old information would be like me using my old slide rule for computations.

nɥºɾ

PS

"show us something relevant and up to date please." You must be joking based upon your post  P007

Message 61 of 128
Latest reply

replying to monman who says:

"

A large cut and paste which I am guessing you have not followed P007.  I would guess this because if you did appreciate  the science associated with ozone  depletion you would not have dug up an article that apropos this topic is ancient, I do wonder at the relevance of  world ozone map - 1979 ,  world ozone map - 1991, & ozone levels 1995, hint     Montreal Protocol 1987'

Fast foward to modern scientific times! and:

"The Montreal Protocol is working: There is clear evidence of a decrease in the atmospheric burden of ozone-depleting substances and some early signs of stratospheric ozone recover"

"Statistical analysis from 2010 show a clear positive signal from the Montreal Protocol to the stratospheric ozone. In consequence, the Montreal Protocol has often been called the most successful international environmental agreement to date."

Science is an ever advancing subject P007,  and in some branches relying on 15 year old information would be like me using my old slide rule for computations....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you have not come up with anything recent........

Specific images and/or data showing the 'improved' state of the stratospheric Ozone layer AND in relation to Australia's land mass wude be gude and relevant and scientific and most helpful......funny that you are only prepared to show up to 2010!!.....or is it becos you don't want to-why?....or can't locate any readily available 'proof' relevant to 2013-2014?

I am just supposed to believe people like you?!.....I am not asking for info/images showing what's what over the Antarctic land mass.

I would like to see info/images for 2013-2014 re. the concentration levels of our stratospheric Ozone layer, specifically as scientifically recorded in Dobson Units OVER AUSTRALIA.

http://aura.gsfc.nasa.gov/ozoneholeposter/Ozone-Booklet_woLesson.pdf bott p.7

..."In the real world, emissions of ODSs ended in 1992. However, their abundance is only now beginning to decline because the chemicals stay in the atmosphere for 50 to 100 years. The peak abundance of CFCs in the atmosphere occurred around 2000, and has decreased by roughly 4 percent to date. Stratospheric ozone was depleted by 5 to 6 percent at middle latitudes, but has rebounded a little in recent years. The largest recorded Antarctic ozone hole was recorded in 2006, with slightly smaller holes since then. The "Real World" simulation predicts the recovery of the ozone layer to above 300 DU by the 2050-2060 time frame..."

....this is in nearly 50 years time!

Message 62 of 128
Latest reply

"2050-2060 time frame..."....this is in nearly 50 years time!

By my slide rule that should be 36-46 years! Your margin of error is too high!

"you have not come up with anything recent........" As opposed to a 15 year outdated study.
P007 There are numerous recent datasets of UV density and UV Indices, or should I accept your  10 year comparison  without any data: " it feels hotter at 7AM than it used to'?

However as you are unable to locate recent information use the NASA data       NASA     which covers from 1979 to February 2014 and extrapolate for Australian coverage.
You could study  your 2004 -2014 "feels hotter now period",  note Sept. 2006,  the largest Antarctic O3 depletion area ever recorded.

How about this one for your "recent" request: I have also included a cool period from 2004

All sources blended

All sources blended

"funny that you are only prepared to show up to 2010!!." OK chuckle: Best I can do is March 2nd 2014

I will dig up some data sets for UVI in Australia  P007, ( direct relationship with DU's)  covering  2004 - 2014 (Mar2nd),  but if you require better resolution I will need to know your  State/ nearest major city  (if you actually want definitive figures)?.

nɥºɾ

Message 63 of 128
Latest reply

"you have not come up with anything recent........"     Best (latest)  I can do P007 is: 1st Mar. 2014. However give me a location and I will give you a UVI for today and a forecast one for tomorrow!

All sources blended

Message 64 of 128
Latest reply

@poddster wrote:

Having read the entire thread, all I can do is shake my head, turn around and walk away. Measurement  by sensation and memory is not my scene. 🙂

......... lol........right behind you.....

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 65 of 128
Latest reply

Lol is a change from *giggle* hey ?!

Message 66 of 128
Latest reply

reply to manman: who posts a link to NASA However as you are unable to locate recent information use the NASA data       NASA     which covers from 1979 to February 2014 and extrapolate for Australian coverage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as I have stated previously, as I have found this stuff all boiy mineself:).....this supposedly shows the Ozone thickness over the Antarctica for Feb 2014 (apparently?!!*guffaw)....BUT not over Australia or in relation to Australia.

I would like to see what's going on with the stratosperic Ozone layer directly OVER our Australian land mass-right now in March 2014.All of Australia

Not just over where I live monman.

I can access the UV index forecast for my town,state etc on several weather websites, cheers, simply by entering my post code.

I don't need you to do this for me thanks anyway.

Your posting of 'blank' inaccessible pics or whatever is pretty useless to date.

Your sarcasm is to be expected as usual.

Message 67 of 128
Latest reply

With regards to CFCs-Freon gas-used in aerosols.I worked for S C Johnson (Johnson Wax) when they re-formulated all their aerosol products.This was done so the propellant could be changed from freon to LPG.This changeover occurred in the mid-seventies.
Message 68 of 128
Latest reply

replying to monman who says: ..."extrapolate..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ɪkˈstrapəleɪt,ɛk-/
verb
verb: extrapolate; 3rd person present: extrapolates; past tense: extrapolated; past participle: extrapolated; gerund or present participle: extrapolating
  1. 1.
    extend the application of (a method or conclusion) to an unknown situation by assuming that existing trends will continue

Tsk-tsk! monman................not at all scientific
Message 69 of 128
Latest reply

"to monman.....so where's the data, up to date IMAGES for 2011 up til 2014....the present?
you have not come up with anything recent........
I would like to see what's going on with the stratosperic Ozone layer directly OVER our Australian land mass-right now in March 2014.All of Australia
funny that you are only prepared to show up to 2010!!."

The  7AM burning skin in 10 minutes version:

UV 2014.JPG

The cool 9.30 AM 1/2 hour T-shirt 2004 version

uv 2004 B.JPG

Oh dear, it looks like a little higher SP factor was required in the  cool old days,  not that the UVI matters at that time of the morning, sun's elevation P007.

I am though  encouraged at your desire to obtain current scientific data P007, so I will find the Sept. 2006 (cool days?) data which has the largest ever recorded "ozone hole", we can then compare it with the  same  2013 period (hot days?)

nɥºɾ

Message 70 of 128
Latest reply