Don Burke - another accused abuser of women

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Don Burke's program Burke's Backyard was a ratings juggernaut for Channel Nine before it was cancelled in 2004.

For almost two decades Don Burke was one of the most powerful men in Australia's entertainment industry. His popular gardening program Burke's Backyard was a ratings juggernaut for the Nine Network until it was unceremoniously axed in 2004.

But now a major Fairfax Media/ABC investigation can reveal that behind the scenes those who worked with Burke claim he was a "psychotic bully", a "misogynist" and a "sexual predator" who indecently assaulted, sexually harassed and bullied a string of female employees.

"He was a vile, vile human being," said Bridget Ninness, a former producer on Burke's Backyard, who later launched legal action against Burke for psychological abuse. "He was lewd and he was crude" and his constant talk of sex was "designed to confront you and to demean you", she said.

Louise Langdon, a former researcher, was subjected to ongoing harassment by Burke which included trying to remove her top, and on another occasion Burke "put his foot into my rear end, with the view to checking the tone of my ... my backside". He then stated that the firmness of her "backside" wasn't "up to scratch".

"I loathed him, he was just a pig. He was lecherous and sinister," said another former researcher who alleges she was indecently assaulted by Burke.

Even David Leckie, the former chief executive of the Nine Network, said he wasn't surprised to receive our call about Burke. "I've been trying to think of Harvey Weinstein-type people [in Australia] and the only one I can ever come up with is Burke. He was a horrible, horrible man," he said.

Unlike Weinstein, Burke is not accused of rape, but the more than 50 people interviewed during this investigation have made serious allegations about Burke's actions.

"Don Burke was a disgrace because of his behaviour internally and externally," said Sam Chisholm, Leckie's predecessor at Nine.

More here -

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/a-high-grade-twisted-abuser-don-burke-a-sexual-harasser-and...

Message 1 of 96
Latest reply
95 REPLIES 95

Stop it Stawks.....this is the third time today I have had to wipe my computer screen.Smiley LOL

I thought at first it was an advertisement for SSM.

Message 71 of 96
Latest reply

Sorry Lyndal.    Not supposed to be funny.

It's an actual photo of the two of them, taken in 1993

Message 72 of 96
Latest reply

Don Burke: Former The Block contestant says gardening guru left 'vile and predatory energy' in her apartment

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-02/former-block-contestant-calls-don-burke-vile/9213512

so here we have another minor celeb suddenly recalling a meeting with mr burke from back when she was begining her wanna be celecrity climb.

now ms amity has in the years since her apearance on that dredful house restoration show trying to keep her little star shining.

ive never heard her once mention this terrible meeting with don burke.

i'm not saying it didnt happen just like shes saying but where was the story before she decided to join the "me too" brigade.

she talks about 'producers' telling her of mr burkes traits, but lets have some names, who were these 'producers' who were warning her to not be alone with him?

she remembers the story os well she must remember who was telling her about mr burke.

Message 73 of 96
Latest reply

David, 100% would not be with my husband if he said what Don Burke has said. That's not flirtation, he has said some of the most vile things. There's talk of him in the herald sun today getting knocked out by a rugby league player when he told his wife she could service him. Was all caught on film, kerry packer got rid of it.
What a shame he can't come out like Matt Lauer and apologise for his actions. I'm sure we will hear more about this from people who were actually there and witnessed this behaviour, producers and crew. Hopefully they stand up and confirm what all these women are saying happened is factual.
Message 74 of 96
Latest reply

all i want is the genuine storys, not made up stories getting air time.

as i said, i dont know if ms dry's story is true. but hey, lets have some better reporting, details. there are others involved, let the reporter chase them up for comment.

i know there is enough now to clearly paint mr burke as a pretty lousy human being, not that ive read too much that at the time would have seen him arrested. not sure it would now either.

i know ms dry has used a lot of ventures to try to keep her celeb star going since her tilt at home reno stardom. this story just feels to me like another attempt to get back into the limelight.

Message 75 of 96
Latest reply

David, I am aware of a current situation in a workplace where every team member is stressed and worried because of the long-term actions of their line manager. This includes intimidation, harassment and bullying. Every team member wants it to stop, but no single individual is prepared to be the first person to come forward. They are all fearful of retribution and believe senior management is weak, will not take the correct action and may even turn on the person who makes the report. But it appears that most of the team will come forward if someone else leads the way.

I fully understand their situation and hope it is exposed and dealt with soon. If it is, some team members will probably raise issues which are now from the past and this should be viewed as part of the line manager's history. Some of these bullies operate by instilling fear in their subordinates with a don't f*** with me or else message hovering in the background. That is the abuse of power and position, and a clear indication of a personality that one should be very careful with.

I've raised this to try and demonstrate how situations can lead to people coming forward some time later, after the villain has been exposed. That doesn't make their stories untrue. If anything, it should assist people to understand the extent of the abusive power the person had over others. Ok, maybe in some people's eyes the subordinates are weak, but fear of retribution and a lack of faith in management must be taken into consideration. And if you are wondering if I have done anything? I am not a witness, but I am whispering in some important ears! It's risky though, and I am nervous.

Message 76 of 96
Latest reply

not_for_sale2017 Are any of these people in a Union? It's a 'class action' waiting to happen....bullying & worker's comp claims
Message 77 of 96
Latest reply

Hi twyngwyn. To my knowledge they are, but this is happening in a professional field and the unions don't have good track records with this type of issue, unfortunately. And taking it that far would require a fair bit of faith in the unions because if they didn't fully support the staff, then it could get quite ugly. I think they want the managers to do their job and manage the problem. I didn't mention that the line manager has a long history of questionable conduct, but nobody in authority has ever dealt with it. This is a point I am trying to make - if the aggrieved does not have faith and trust in the system, then they won't report the person. But that doesn't mean they should be the ones to be judged if they develop the confidence at a later date. I don't agree with the put up or shut up opinions, it just isn't that simple.

Message 78 of 96
Latest reply

To your knowledge, what percentage of the workers on the production line would like to see a change in Production Manager and be prepared to discuss it with Senior management ?

image host
Message 79 of 96
Latest reply

I think your question is important kopenhagen5. I think every member of the team would like the opportunity to formally address the concerns with senior management, but as a team. I suspect each individual is concerned that if they speak up first, they might be singled out and accused of having 'personal' conflict with the line manager. This is why it must be kept professional and there must be some reasonable indication that senior management will respond professionally. As I suggested earlier, these types of issues involve risks, which is partly why some people do not act straight away. They are aware of the risks and are not prepared to take them until it appears safer to do so.

Message 80 of 96
Latest reply