Elderly drivers - if and when should they be re-tested?

I used to be a regular poster on these boards, however been MIA for a while.  However just wondering what peoples thoughts are on licences with elderly.  There have been quite a few accidents recently, accelorator being mistaken for brake etc.  I know there are also alot of accidents with P Platers.  However, when should someone give up driving?  Who makes that decision? Speaking to a local shop owner the other day and he told me about a guy that is very unstead on his feet and in his opinion should not be driving, is it the shop keepers responsibility to report him? Have people had to tell elderly parents they should no longer be driving (when the time comes?)

interested in thoughts.

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Elderly drivers - if and when should they be re-tested?

Elderly drivers get a bad wrap. A lot of those accidents recorded are not the eldery persons fault.

Most elderly people only need their car to drive to the shops and such occasions and this car is freedom to them. Even if they are not perfect in their skills i believe they are good enough to be on the roads within reason.

There are ways around it for example. The elderly person could choose to travel to the shops at offpeak hours and park away from traffic. The difference between your own car and taxies and buses is multitudes away and i believe we should allow senior citizens a break.

I am not saying they can go driving across state, but from point A to B driving slowly and carefully and taking the least congested roads, i see no harm in it.

Message 11 of 41
Latest reply

Every case is indeed different and thats why I believe after a certain age that mandatory testing should come in.  Perhaps a limited licence can then be giving as you suggest only driving locally, between certain hours etc.  It is not easy to suggest to a parent that they should not be driving anymore, even after a few near misses my father believes he is still okay to drive. twice I have spoken to the docs and he still has his licence.  Im sure this goes on in quite a number of families and creates a lot of angst. 

Message 12 of 41
Latest reply

But at what age do we decide that a person is not fit to drive....and why?

My husband is 73 and drives for a living.  He is a courier and is on the road from 5.30am to 8pm and still has a lifetime maximum no claim bonus on his insurance.

Most couriers find it almost impossible to be on the road long enough to earn the maximum NCB, let alone a lifetime one.

With the government making the pension age higher there is sure to be more older drivers on the road.   You can't tell people they have to work longer but only drive round their local area.

Message 13 of 41
Latest reply

It is very difficult living in a country or regional area where public transport is non existent.

In our case to get to the local bus stop involves a very long walk which my husband cannot manage.

The alternative of a cab involves a fee of $30each way making for a very expensive day out.

Once I can no longer drive we will be effectively isolated in our home.

I do not know the answer.

Message 14 of 41
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

But at what age do we decide that a person is not fit to drive....and why?

My husband is 73 and drives for a living.  He is a courier and is on the road from 5.30am to 8pm and still has a lifetime maximum no claim bonus on his insurance.

Most couriers find it almost impossible to be on the road long enough to earn the maximum NCB, let alone a lifetime one.

With the government making the pension age higher there is sure to be more older drivers on the road.   You can't tell people they have to work longer but only drive round their local area.

73 is the new 60 Lyndal!  Your hubby is obv a good driver, I think 70's are fine, I think perhaps once you hit 80 then at least a thorough medical is required, testing reflexes, hearing, eyesight etc.  

Message 15 of 41
Latest reply

@jean2579 wrote:

It is very difficult living in a country or regional area where public transport is non existent.

In our case to get to the local bus stop involves a very long walk which my husband cannot manage.

The alternative of a cab involves a fee of $30each way making for a very expensive day out.

Once I can no longer drive we will be effectively isolated in our home.

I do not know the answer.

Jean, are you eliigible for half price taxis? think a doctor can organise this if one has medical issues. I know it can still be expensive but at least it's half the cost.

I understand where you are coming from as my mother is very upset at the prospect of my father no longer driving. As she hasn't driven for over 30 years (and we encouraged her to keep up her driving but my father insisted on doing the driving, she then lost her confidence). She is similar to you in feeling they will lose their independence, its very difficult I understand that.  

Message 16 of 41
Latest reply

Just wanted to say hello.

Accidents at the local shops tend to be caused by the elderly mistaking the accelerator for the brake and going through shop windows.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 17 of 41
Latest reply

Many things are twisted here, 

Has little or nothing to do with knickers.

Message 18 of 41
Latest reply

It must be hard to convince a loved one that they need to give up something that gives them a sense of independence. Neither of my parents made it past 74, so, we didn't have to deal with that issue but my ex FIL has only recently given up driving at the age of 91. It was his choice. He was worried that at his age, he was becoming increasingly at risk of having a heart attack and didn't want to cause an accident so he decided to give up driving. He misses the independence and feels redundant but knows that it is for the best.He has numerous children and grandchildren who are more than happy to drive him wherever he wants to go but it is not the same..

It varies from person to person.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 19 of 41
Latest reply

We should ban all drivers over 70

and if there are still accidents ban all over 60 year olds

and if there are still accidents ban all over 50 year olds

and keep dropping the age if there are still accidents

I guarantee this would eventually stop all accidents

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 20 of 41
Latest reply