Endangered Kiwis in Australia

It's not widely known by the public living in Australia, that a vulnerable group of New Zealand citizens live amongst them and consider Australia their home.  Welcomed into Australia, only to have the door to Australian citizenship slammed shut.  

Australia and New Zealand have had arrangements in place since the 1920s to facilitate a free flow of people between the two countries to reside and work.  New Zealand citizens and Australian citizens were considered permanent residents in each others countries and could apply for citizenship after a few years if they wished. 

In February 2001, the Howard government introduced a 'bilateral agreement', which in reality is more of a 'unilateral' (one way) 'disagreement', as the New Zealand government did not approve of it.

New Zealand citizens arriving in Australia since February 2001 are on non-protected Special Category Visas and considered 'temporary visitors', indefinitely - an oxymoron...

I am not sure how I think it should be........ part of me says it is ok but then when I read about how it affects families, I think it is wrong.

On the other hand, I have 2 grandaughter.... one born in Australia, her mum born in the UK but lived here since aged 4. This grandaughter is both  British and Australian citizen.

The other was born in UK, mum Australian, dad NZ but Aus citizen. She does not qualify for British Citizenship.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I moved over here well before 2001 so am a permanent resident.  My children are Australian citizens. (even though their Dad is not an Australian citizen either.)

My brother moved over last year, he needs to apply for permanent residency if he wants to become a citizen.  If he has children before he is a permanent resident, I have no idea if they would be citizens of Australia or not - I guess it depends on what visa his girlfriend is on. (I think she is British)

but I don't think it makes us an endangered species.

You don't have to be crazy to be here, but it helps.
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

and hopefully on there way to extinction.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

This is what I was referring to in a past thread about 'poor' people. Even though 'one' disputed that this occurs. There are homeless people in Syd, who originally came from NZ, worked here for years and now having lost their jobs can't support themselves anymore. They aren't entitled to much Govt assistance, and for various reasons they don't want to move back to NZ, 

However, I do think that when a person from NZ decides to move to Australia, to live they are aware of these conditions. They can't expect any special treatment in this regard after they move here and live here for several years.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Perhaps the special visa caterogy only avail for NZ'ers should be discontinued and NZ'ers only have the same entry rights as all other countries.?

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Mrgrizz that is racist!!

If you have not got citizen ship in Aus then you will not get help from the NZ government or the Aus government, none at all.

I have a friend who was on a NZ pension and her husband worked, he needed a triple bypass and could not work.

The Nz government would not help and the Australian Government would not help either money wise.

Thank goodness for family who did help, or they would not have been able to pay their rent.

One thing mind you he did get the best of care in hospital in Australia and the he had the Operation on the Gold Coast.

He is fit and well and working again.

I have dual citizenship, My father was born in Australia and my Mother in NZ

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

The words in the title and most of the  op are from another place, I could not paste the address here as it also had a link to a petition.

Krazykiwi, your brothers children will not get to be Au citizens until they are 10 yrs old, if they are born here.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Mrgrizz that is racist!!

If you have not got citizen ship in Aus then you will not get help from the NZ government or the Aus government, none at all.

I have a friend who was on a NZ pension and her husband worked, he needed a triple bypass and could not work.

The Nz government would not help and the Australian Government would not help either money wise.

Thank goodness for family who did help, or they would not have been able to pay their rent.

One thing mind you he did get the best of care in hospital in Australia and the he had the Operation on the Gold Coast.

He is fit and well and working again.

I have dual citizenship, My father was born in Australia and my Mother in NZ

sorry I forgot the smilie face:^O

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

The Plight of the Lost Kiwis - is that were this comes from?

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

MRgrizz forgiven 🙂

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply