Entertainment world deaths 2024

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Glynis Johns, who sang Send in the Clowns and Sister Suffragette on Mary Poppins, dies aged 100 - AB...

I particularly loved her as a mermaid in the film Miranda, when I was small.

RIP Glynis

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

sorry all.....I had been using the app for 3 days, as I couldn't get on the boards on laptop??.....couldn't find the thread.....just ignore the one I started....

Message 11 of 31
Latest reply

I have requested the mods to lock my duplicate thread

Message 12 of 31
Latest reply

Ewa Podleś has died.

Ewa Podleś (1952-2024)

The Polish contralto Ewa Podleś, whose powerful yet supremely agile voice was a force of nature, has died in Warsaw aged 71.

[…]

Endowed with a three-octave range and a cavernous chest-register which could cut effortlessly across a full orchestra, Podleś excelled in dramatic Rossini assignments such as Tancredi, Arsace in Semiramide, and the title-role in Ciro in Babilonia, and as Handel's Orlando, Bertarido (Rodelinda), Polinesso (Ariodante) and Rinaldo.

[…]

On the concert-platform, Podleś was renowned for her interpretations of Russian and Polish song repertoire, frequently championing music by her compatriots Lutosławski, Szymanowski and Penderecki. She often performed and recorded with her husband, the Polish pianist Jerzy Marchwiński, whom she survived by just two months.

Podleś died of lung cancer on 19th January, and is survived by her daughter Mari Madej and step-daughter Ania Marchwinska, who announced her death earlier this week.

— https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/articles/5732--obituary-ewa-podle-1952-2024

71 - way too young. And she only retired from performing six years ago! She was still teaching …

I am not overstating things by saying she was one of the greatest contraltos who ever lived. May angels sing her to the eternal concert hall.

Message 13 of 31
Latest reply

mtnlane
Community Member

I watched a lot of their series.

Good down to earth cooking (even if not healthy sometimes/most times)

Enjoyable watching.

Message 17 of 31
Latest reply

Sad to read that Jonnie Irwin who used to present for Escape to the Country died on 2nd February.

He had been diagnosed with lung cancer back in 2020 and it had spread to his brain.

A more positive person given his prognosis was amazing. 

He leaves behind his wife Jessica and three young boys (Rex aged 6 and twin boys Cormac and Rafa aged 2).  He left an amazing number of videos for them so that his children would know who their father was, given they are all very young. 

Vale Jonnie - you will be missed by many

Message 18 of 31
Latest reply