Foam cushion inserts

I remember hearing somewhere that there is some trick to getting foam block inserts back into their covers but can't remember what it was.  Anyone know?   Spraying it with something is hiding in the back of my mind Smiley Frustrated

Creator of the Most Awesome Thread Topic EVER

Accepted Solutions

Foam cushion inserts

banoras
Community Member

Hi Lurker, I've been making and covering foam cushions for many years, and I'd like to know if there is a trick too.

However, how I've always done it, is to roll or fold the foam into as small a bundle as you can, get it inside the fabric as far as the centre if possible, and let it find its level. Then manouveur the corners of the foam into the corners of the fabric. Its not easy, especially as the fabric usually shrinks after washing. Much easier if the cushion has an inner cover of a slippery fabric, eg taffeta, which I make mine with these days. 

Have a lovely day, spring cleaning perhaps?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Foam cushion inserts

i pulled some out yesterday, and the sides and corners (where it snags and grips impeding the proccess) had a thin layer of a slippery plasticky fabric that is only held with static cling  by the look this is how its done at the factory.  I've seen masking tape used to compress the foam sufficiently to make it easier to fit too. once in, before closing the zipper pull the masking tape off.

i simply compressed the foam by hand, and had someone else slip the cover over as the other poster suggests.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Foam cushion inserts

banoras
Community Member

Hi Lurker, I've been making and covering foam cushions for many years, and I'd like to know if there is a trick too.

However, how I've always done it, is to roll or fold the foam into as small a bundle as you can, get it inside the fabric as far as the centre if possible, and let it find its level. Then manouveur the corners of the foam into the corners of the fabric. Its not easy, especially as the fabric usually shrinks after washing. Much easier if the cushion has an inner cover of a slippery fabric, eg taffeta, which I make mine with these days. 

Have a lovely day, spring cleaning perhaps?

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Foam cushion inserts

i pulled some out yesterday, and the sides and corners (where it snags and grips impeding the proccess) had a thin layer of a slippery plasticky fabric that is only held with static cling  by the look this is how its done at the factory.  I've seen masking tape used to compress the foam sufficiently to make it easier to fit too. once in, before closing the zipper pull the masking tape off.

i simply compressed the foam by hand, and had someone else slip the cover over as the other poster suggests.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Foam cushion inserts

same typa' process as those  space-saver things would do your job.

put your insert in a plastic bag, then draw the air out with a vaccuum cleaner nozzle

this would compress shrink the size of the insert, when you push it back into

the cover and open up the plastic bag end, thing will then resume it's normal size.

(shades)

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Foam cushion inserts

But then how do you get the plastic bag out?

Joono
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Foam cushion inserts

plastic bag stays

solves the op's problem.  

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Foam cushion inserts

OK.  As long as it's not crinkly plastic.  

Joono
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Foam cushion inserts

I used the roll, stuff and fiddle method.  Success! Woman Very Happy

I'm sure there is something you spray on or apply somehow that makes it easier (and no it's not plastic Woman Tongue).  If I ever find it again I'll let you know.

Creator of the Most Awesome Thread Topic EVER