Freemasonary

What do you know about it?

I was told that one Mason could identify another Mason by shaking hands with them.

Apparently they have some special secret handshake.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 1 of 78
Latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Freemasonary

* Freemasonry

My maternal grandfather was a freemason, as was his son (my uncle), two of my cousin's OH's belong as well.

One of my relatives partners who belongs, has a 5yr national position with the freemasons.

They do a lot of fundraising, good works for the community..

They have dinners etc, where partners are invited. Also if they are away on a conference, partners are invited. The wives/partners can get together and do their own thing, while the freesmasons are at the conference.

My relative has travelled around quite a bit, with her OH  (while he holds his position) when he is away from home attending functions/conferences/ national meetings.

Message 21 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

My post isn't meant to give the impression that I think the freemasons are great or not. I don't really know a lot about them.

I am sure if I asked my cousin's OH, he would tell me what he could... but he is known for long long, conversations... i don't think I could maintain  interest that long.

He always wear his 'penguin suit'  (tails) when he goes to meetings.

Message 22 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

**meep**
Community Member

Who's heard the conspiracies discussed in Dan Brown's books?

id say probably everyone?  even my 14 yo....

Message 23 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

The only thing I know about the Freemasons is what I learnt from a  Monty Python skit.

Message 24 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

**meep**
Community Member

Yep, thats the impression I got after talking to our friends

Message 25 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

They are always fundraising for something in the community, they do alot of good.

OH has a close friend that is one.

Message 26 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

My FIL was a Mason. My OH later joined and after several years became the Master of his Lodge. I also did the dinner thing for the South. He doesn't belong now but still has all of his regalia and Masonic Bible.  It meant a lot to him and his Father. They also did a great deal of charity work and my OH still does.

Message 27 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

Once a year when the women were giving it the spring clean for the annual dinner they got to cook, eat and clean up after   :^O

I wonder what happened to all the aprons   :^O

Message 28 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

Yes, not sure really how though. maybe they run private raffles or something.

Message 29 of 78
Latest reply

Freemasonary

A Bible? I thought they were non religious per se and only had to believe in a higher being - but that they did not need to specify what that being was.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they were specifically not allowed to talk about religion or npolitics so that no member was put on the spot kinda thing.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 30 of 78
Latest reply