GMO's

1. Genetically modified foods (or GM foods) arefoods produced from organisms that have had specific changes introduced into their DNA using the methods of genetic engineering. There a two main types of genetically modified crops. 

Bt, or bacillus thuringiensis, is a type of soil-dwelling bacteria that produces a protein toxic to many insects. Bt crops are engineered to produce the Bt toxin within the plant itself, acting as a built-in insecticide. Bt toxin kills crop pests by dissolving the insect’s gut lining.
Roundup Ready crops are engineered to be resistant to Roundup, a Monsanto brand of herbicide. The active ingredient in Roundup herbicide is glyphosate, a commonly used weed-killer.

I know very little about this topic. I'm Interested to hear what ya'll know or think about GMO foods.

Message 1 of 131
Latest reply
130 REPLIES 130

GMO's

There is  a third type......the introduction of animal dna into crop dna. Safflower and Carp Emlay and Associates created safflower that produces pharmaceutical proteins by genetically engineering the safflower with growth hormones from carp. USDA agreed in June 2003 for this crop to be grown on 11 acres in North Dakota and Nevada. Wheat and Chickens The University of Nebraska acquired three permits to grow field trials of wheat genetically engineered with chicken genes to produce fungal resistance. The field tests were authorized to occur between March 2002 and August 2003 in Nebraska. Rats and Soybeans The University of Kentucky used the genes of the Norwegian rat to alter the oil profile of soybeans. The test was authorized to begin in May 2003 on an acre in Kentucky and can continue until May 2004. The report disputes industry claims that they can insert foreign DNA into new species with great accuracy, and that the technology is merely an extension of traditional plant breeding. In May 2000, for example, Monsanto disclosed for the first time that its genetically engineered soybeans-their most widely used product, which has been on the market for four years-contained additional and unexpected gene fragments. Just one year later, Monsanto had to admit once again that additional unexpected DNA was discovered in the soybeans. "Despite very visible gaffes by the biotechnology industry, such as illegal corn in taco shells or unapproved genetically engineered livestock in the food supply, it is shocking to learn about experiments that put rat genes in soybeans and chicken genes in corn," added Caplan. "Because genetically engineered crops are poorly regulated and resulting food products carry no consumer label, consumers are all test subjects in a vast food experiment."  http://www.rense.com/general44/cell.htm

Monsanto, et. al.  vociferously denies that this is occurring.......do you really believe them?

The long-term ramifications could be disastrous.

The long-term ramifications

Message 2 of 131
Latest reply

GMO's

Genetically modified plants do not worry me.  We all share some genes with plants and animals.

But plants modified so they can tolerate ever increasing amount of herbicides are a worry.  That means that our food has been treated with more and more poisons.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 3 of 131
Latest reply

GMO's

Well, when your descendants grow gills and rat tails.........I'll be in the front row, going, "Na na na-na na".......Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 131
Latest reply

GMO's

The long-term ramifications

Exactly Bandcamp.  We do not know the long term ramifications. There are no studies to test the effects these GMO's are having on the human population.  And as far as I know in America the food producers dont even have to label their foods if they are GMO.  

Do you know anything about the "bee" genocide from a couple of years ago?  

Message 5 of 131
Latest reply

GMO's

@***super_nova*** wrote:

Genetically modified plants do not worry me.  We all share some genes with plants and animals.

Even though at this point there is no way of knowing what the long term effects of altering the genome of plants can have on a human population.  

Hopefully Bandcamp has some knowledge of this subject, but when gmo's were introduced into a commercial honey bee population a couple of years ago 96% of the bees died.  Remeber the honey shortage? That was caused by genetically modified plants.

Message 6 of 131
Latest reply

GMO's

Jackson County, Oregon, where I live, successfully passed a law that prohibits growing GMO crops, and a state-wide law requiring labelling wass narrowly defeated last year, after opponents (read: Monsanto and cronies) spent nearly  $11 million.........

In Oregon, the bee population is seeing a resurgence......in fact, the city council yesterday passed a law permitting up to 3 hives per property plot.

Message 7 of 131
Latest reply

GMO's

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

Well, when your descendants grow gills and rat tails.........I'll be in the front row, going, "Na na na-na na".......Smiley LOL

you better stop eating fish if you are afraid of growing gills. 🙂 

More important question is considering that humans share about 50% of their genes with bananas, is it canibalism to eat them?

We share about:

90% with chimps

88% with mouse

85% with cow

84% with dog

73% with zebra fish

69% with platypus

65% with chicken

47% with fruit fly

44% honey bee

38% round worm

24% grape wine

18% baker's yeast

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 8 of 131
Latest reply

GMO's

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

And my gilled descendents will be swimming around peeing and swishing their rat tails in your water

Message 9 of 131
Latest reply

GMO's

And my gilled descendents will be swimming around peeing and swishing their rat tails in your water

Fortunately, not my water, which comes from an underground spring in the Big Butte watershed......

Big Butte Springs (BBS) have been the MWC’s primary source of drinking water since 1927. Providing 26.4 million gallons of water per day (mgd), the springs are one of the community’s most valuable and significant resources.

The springs discharge water of exceptional quality. It is consistently cold and clear with natural chemical and physical characteristics, which place this source in a "pristine" classification. No man-made contaminants have ever been detected in the spring’s water. The water is low in turbidity, has an average temperature of 43 degrees F.

Until Weyerhauser and others clear-cut their lands, the pipelines were shaded all summer.....the water coming out of the tap was so cold that condensation would immediately form.
Message 10 of 131
Latest reply