Gay cake case

Ashers Bakery lose 'gay cake' case: 'We will not be closing down, we have not done anything wrong' says boss Ashers bakery "unlawfully discriminated on the grounds of sexual orientation"

A Christian-run bakery which refused to make a cake bearing a pro-gay marriage slogan has been found guilty of discrimination after a landmark legal action at Belfast County Court.

The family-run bakery, which delivers across the UK and Ireland, turned down the request for a cake with an image of Sesame Street puppets Bert and Ernie below the motto Support Gay Marriage.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/ashers-bakery-lose-gay-cake-case-we-will-not...

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Gay cake case

@icyfroth wrote:

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

@digupatin wrote:

@imastawka wrote:

Perhaps it's not always appropriate

Perhaps you're right?  

Perhaps some people don't like being invited to consider possibilities.

Perhaps when "some people" introduce "other possibilities" they are asked to provide proof otherwise be considered to have no credibility.

Possibility: a thing that may happen or be the case.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/possibility

Message 31 of 59
Latest reply

Gay cake case

Perhaps I forgot my grammar rules and used or instead of nor.  Is it neither nor and either or?  Or does it not matter anymore?

Message 32 of 59
Latest reply

Gay cake case

@icyfroth wrote:

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

@digupatin wrote:

@imastawka wrote:

Perhaps it's not always appropriate

Perhaps you're right?  

Perhaps some people don't like being invited to consider possibilities.

Perhaps when "some people" introduce "other possibilities" they are asked to provide proof otherwise be considered to have no credibility.

one of the many exclusive rules lol

Message 33 of 59
Latest reply

Gay cake case

@gleee58 wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

@youcandoityoucandoityoucandoit wrote:

@gleee58 wrote:

@icyfroth wrote:

@gleee58 wrote:

@bella_again wrote:

I can't help but wonder if its a deliberate act though on behalf of the Gay lobby person to bait the business.  People know the services of shops before they go in them.  It is really quite simple if a shop doesn't on the basis of their organisational stance provide a service go elsewhere!  You could argue discrimination on a number of fronts across the board in various different sectors but who goes to court in an attempt to bankrupt a business and destroy their reputation.  To me that's just another whole level of nastiness its not about equality because they are not trying to achieve that under these circumstances. Oh and its def a bait this is a UK case not the case in the US?

There are lots of cake shops that could have supplied that service and this person went there deliberately to further their agenda and cause trouble.  The world has gone bonkers  diqupatin.

Or perhaps the store advertises that they will make cakes for any celebration and will write anything the buyer wishes.

do you always deal with perhapses?

We don't know the whole story or what went down in court. There might be a perfectly valid reason for the ruling that has been overlooked on the way to publishing a sensationalist story.

This is a discussion forum and we're all allowed to add comment.  No need to get snarly.

Whats wrong with using the word perhaps?

When you're trying to make a statement or defend an opinion, "perhaps" is just an assumption and not a fact.

That's just nit picking. 

I wasn't trying to make a statement or defend an opinion, just merely adding another alternative.   Perhaps is neither an assumtion or a fact.

Perhaps some just want to provoke.

Message 34 of 59
Latest reply

Gay cake case

When you order a cake, that's when you tell them how you want it decorated.. And that's how they base their pricing.

so the business lost in court because they had already taken the order and the payment, then they had a change of mind  which "perhaps" was seen by the court as discrimination

strange thing to have on a cake though

Message 35 of 59
Latest reply

Gay cake case

@debra9275 wrote:

When you order a cake, that's when you tell them how you want it decorated.. And that's how they base their pricing.

so the business lost in court because they had already taken the order and the payment, then they had a change of mind  which "perhaps" was seen by the court as discrimination

strange thing to have on a cake though

I wonder if perhaps they regret taking the order?

Message 36 of 59
Latest reply

Gay cake case

Maybe

Message 37 of 59
Latest reply

Gay cake case

Woman LOL  I think perhaps they would be now

Message 38 of 59
Latest reply

Gay cake case

@imastawka wrote:

Maybe

How does perhapples sound instead or maybeebles?

It's a bit funny when more of the thread is devoted to arguing over perhapples that the topic  :D:D

Message 39 of 59
Latest reply

Gay cake case

now I want an apple

perhapples   

lol

Message 40 of 59
Latest reply