Government-controlled supermarkets accused of ripping off remote shoppers

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Government-controlled supermarkets accused of ripping off remote shoppers

Wow, that certainly is a huge difference in price.

But there could be some very legitimate reasons for it.

First off, the settlements are remote.

As in, a long way from anywhere, off the beaten track. Obviously getting trucks to them will be an expensive process and those trucks would be travelling back empty.

Then-economies of scale. We all know the big supermarkets can often do it cheaper on a lot of items, compared to say, the milk bar, because they have a huge turnover and can buy in bulk.

You're not going to get that in a remote settlement either.

I noticed they are calling for more in the way of government subsidies.

I remember once watching a documentary about a similar argument, where a small remote area was saying the government should subsidise the cost of hooking them up to electricity, services etc

The minister answered that people are entitled to live wherever they want, but if they set up in a remote area, they have to be prepared for the fact they are a long way from services. The government has to balance costs with how many people are actually benefitting and sometimes money can be better spent to help bigger groups.

The population there is probably in the 1200 range & there are few job opportunities.

The projected population, even by 2030, isn't much different.

Maybe the govt should subsidise some of them if they move closer in.

PS It reminds me of back in the 1970s i travelled to Uluru. I bought a milk shake in one remote town. $2.50 I think it was, compared to about 45c in Melbourne. It's just the way it is, probably was expensive to get milk deliveries there.

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply