Grant Hackett.

OK he's admitted he has a continuing addiction to stillnox, he's just returning after 5 weeks in a treatment facility in America.

He has admitted this addiction publicly, has fought to overcome this addiction, stillnox can only be obtained with a prescription from a Doctor, so, why would he still be prescribed this addictive medication after going public about his addiction????

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Grant Hackett.

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

if this was your family,  would you want unfounded speculation in public? From strangers?

how do you know the door was locked?

with a deadlock?

have you stayed there?

please do not speculate on the circumstances.

for this to happen (and it did), to anyone, would be a terrible thing.

i cannot even come close to imaging how awful that would be.

He was responsible for the children, he had them on a access visit, so who do you believe would be responsible for locking the door?

I didn't say the door was locked with a deadlock.

This is what I said:- You have to wonder how on earth a 4yr old in a strange hotel room would know how to unlock a door, which you would think would have a dead lock on it.

Message 11 of 33
Latest reply

I have seen unsupervised toddlers in action.

this was the middle of the night.

parents do sleep, medicated or otherwise...

or just plain sleep.

kids get up to mischief.

this story was run repetitively by every tabloid style newspaper.

if it were to highlight the dangers of sleeping medication, which anyone can get, and the perils of addiction to it, it would have had some merit.

but...it was more a campaign to humiliate a man looking for his child.

that is what I find regrettable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 12 of 33
Latest reply

This thread was an attempt to highlight how easy it appears to be to obtain addictive medication. Grant admitted a few years ago he was addicted to stillnox, I was shocked when the story broke recently about his child missing in a Hotel when he had the responsibility for the care and safety of that child. Within day's of that incident he was on his way to America still denying he needed help, this man who's face is well known to the world for his amazing sporting life, this man who it would appear was still addicted to a prescription drug, after telling the world he was getting help for his addiction 2yrs ago.

My query remains, how on earth is he able to get this addictive medication which is only available by prescription after all the publicity about his addiction? If he is serious about wanting to help people with addiction, he needs to step up and dob the Doctor/s who hand out these addictive medications willy nilly.

I sincerely hope his rehab has worked, I have no axe to grind regarding Grant Hackett as a person and a great athlete.

Message 13 of 33
Latest reply

Addicts always find a way.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 14 of 33
Latest reply

Freddie, it is all too true, addicts and those on that path will find a way or turn to something else.

it is also too easy to get started.

a few weeks ago I was in a car accident.

one of the doctor's questions was how was I sleeping.

I could have left with a variety of prescriptions, all valid and reasonable (muscle relaxant, prescription only pain killers, sleeping pills, etc. for the potentially addictive ones) but I wanted to see how I was going to manage without, first.

I think many would have taken the sleeping medication etc. for relief, without thinking about it. I thought about it, and about how long I might have needed it, and what might be the risks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 15 of 33
Latest reply

Get off his back all you knockers, I wish him all the very best in his recovery. Only those in his position would know what he has been through. He is a great Australian athlete who has done us proud.

Keep it nice, I might cry if you write anything upsetting (like not)
Message 16 of 33
Latest reply

Most people don't lock a hotel room door from the inside as they are automatically locked from the outside/inbetween the mechanisms (in fact I don't even recall seeing a lock on the inside)

One only needs to turn the door handle from the inside or put the card in the slot and the door opens

Maybe motels have locks an stuff?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 17 of 33
Latest reply

Freddie, thank you for explaining why you started the thread.

Heart

Message 18 of 33
Latest reply

It would be easy.

I swapped doctors. But how does my doctor at Dr A know that I'm not going to Dr B or Doctor C to get more scripts?

As far as they know, they're the only doctor treating me.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 19 of 33
Latest reply

d-halo, I was wondering the same thing.

I have travelled a lot and maybe stayed in 100+ hotel rooms, Crown once. No deadlock.

but once you are outside, and it shuts, you can't get back in Without the key/pass.

and yes, it's easy to get stuff with a bit of effort if you want to.

that's the tragic thing ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 20 of 33
Latest reply