Happy Australia Day!

All very low-key this year, and who knows if it will be celebrated at all in the years ahead, the way efforts are being ramped up to bring it down.

Still, it's a typical blazing hot blue sky like nowhere else in the world, the crickets are chirping and someone even had their  mowers going this morning.

The radio is playing traditionally Aussie songs, like "True Blue" by John Williamson, and "I still call Australia Home" , by Peter Allan. "I Come From a Land Down Under", by Men at Work.

My favourite has always been "I am Australian", by the Seekers.

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Happy Australia Day!

I hope it's a great day for all. Fingers crossed we don't see a Cronulla episode this time around.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cosmologically speaking we are all little more than a bacterial film on a soft rock hurtling through an unimaginable void.
Don't take it all too seriously.
Message 2 of 71
Latest reply

Happy Australia Day!

I am brought to tears by the 'I am Australian' rendition that was done as an ad for Qantas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbGuqmaDgLA

Also found this on Facebook, part of the reasoning for changing the date for Australia Day140550193_2000330666774034_750804030502597450_n.jpg

Sorry for the scroller

Message 3 of 71
Latest reply

Happy Australia Day!

I have no problem with changing the date.  If one word of the anthem can be changed then why not one date in the year.  If by doing thid it could lead to a compromise of sorts.   We can still have an Australia Day where we celebrate our achievements and unity but I just don't see what difference a date makes  if it eases  relations.   .     

Message 4 of 71
Latest reply

Happy Australia Day!

May 8  -  maaate

Message 5 of 71
Latest reply

Happy Australia Day!

Message 6 of 71
Latest reply

Happy Australia Day!

I like May 8 but I also like the idea of having the Australia Day weekend at the end of January.  It's just before the start of the new school year and it sort of draws a line under the summer holidays.  There are a few other public holidays around early May.

I have seen one suggestion that instead of there being an Australia Day date, we should have a public holiday on the last weekend in January - even have the Friday and the Monday holidays to make a four day weekend like at easter.  Might take the sting out of celebrating the actual day indigenous people were disposessed.

Message 7 of 71
Latest reply

Happy Australia Day!

Doesn't bother me what day they have the public holiday. As long as it shuts these people up. 
Was in the city where they had the Invasion day protest today. Was a sea of white people? explain that to me???

I totally understand the black aborigines affected by discrimination and racism and not given enough opportunities but why are the white aborigines complaining of the same thing??? I don't get it. 

If anything, it's the Middle Eastern and the Chinese Asian that are discriminate more than the aborigines. 

Message 8 of 71
Latest reply

Happy Australia Day!

But the Middle Eastern and Chinese aren't counted as the first Australians Bob.

I admit I do wonder how many aboriginal people actually care about this. My son is aboriginal, as is his dad, neither one really bothers, they just get on with thier life.

Instead of hearing from the white community, or those with less than 20% aborignal blood etc, I would like to hear from the true elders and tribal people how they feel.

Along with the 'Coon cheese" debate, I think we are all getting a little precious franky.

Message 9 of 71
Latest reply

Happy Australia Day!

the_bob_delusion wrote: I totally understand the black aborigines affected by discrimination and racism and not given enough opportunities but why are the white aborigines complaining of the same thing?

Probably for the same reason that so many men support the  White Ribbon Australia Movement.

Message 10 of 71
Latest reply