Hot X buns

14 REPLIES 14

Hot X buns

martinw-48
Community Member
I want to be able to buy white Christmas all year.
Can't even find it at Christmas time any more.
When I lived in Adelaide I could get egg nog all year too.
Now I have to wait until Christmas time
Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

Hot X buns

I can see a time when...

retail-christmas-xmas-christmas_treat-xmas_treat-festive_food-nman325_low.jpg

Ha ha...

🙂

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

Hot X buns

@tasfleur wrote:

I must have missed something!  Hot cross buns are only common fruit buns with flour "glue" across the top.  The taste is the same.  I think it's bizarre that any supermarket can (and would even want to) fool customers into believing the buns are something different because of what sits on top (that is similar to "clag").

Are people really so easily manipulated and that gullible?

A lot of people like the taste of that extra texture across the buns. Adds a bit of crunch.

If some people want it, can't see why manufacturers can't just put a couple of stripes across some at other times, a cross towards easter.

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

Hot X buns

I don't know springy, not speaking for anyone else, but the the crosses on top (to me) have always tasted gluey, soggy and claggy.  Perhaps they have changed the recipe, but it's been a long time since I've bought them as I don't buy any kind of commercial fruit buns now.

Must agree with Lyndal though, people can buy what they want when they like with crosses or not.  It's meaningless to me but for the religious, it might be different.  Depends on what kind of outrage vehicle they have.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Hot X buns

I know an ex-baker for Coles.

He told me that they cook hot cross buns 6 mths leading up to Easter and they freeze them. This is to help with the demand come Easter. First on the shelf is the ‘left over frozen stock form last Easter’.... so if you want fresh hot cross buns, wait a week or two before purchasing them. 

I love them.... but can’t eat the shop bought ones (dietary requirements)  but I do have a recipe for them I’ll have a go. I’m not going to wait until Easter though 😋😋

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 15 of 15
Latest reply