Hot X buns

14 REPLIES 14

Hot X buns

I must have missed something!  Hot cross buns are only common fruit buns with flour "glue" across the top.  The taste is the same.  I think it's bizarre that any supermarket can (and would even want to) fool customers into believing the buns are something different because of what sits on top (that is similar to "clag").

Are people really so easily manipulated and that gullible?

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Hot X buns

@tasfleur wrote:

I must have missed something!  Hot cross buns are only common fruit buns with flour "glue" across the top.  The taste is the same.  I think it's bizarre that any supermarket can (and would even want to) fool customers into believing the buns are something different because of what sits on top (that is similar to "clag").

Are people really so easily manipulated and that gullible?

Well, yes they are, I mean, just look back at the original Easter yarn.Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Hot X buns

There's no equivalent to hot cross buns available at Coles online, nor the X buns yet. 

The only problem with Coles selling them will be they are likely to be Coles brand ones, which are not on my favourites list.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Hot X buns

It will probably only be that particular supermarket making and marketing year long hot cross buns and indeed, probably their own brand unless the others jump on the wagon and are just as stupid to try it on.

Either way, I make our own fruit buns.  At easter time though, I make an exception for our christian religious friends and put a white icing cross on , but only for what is known as 'good Friday' because it has a spiritual significance to them at that time.

Personally, I think it is just chronic mercenary behaviour for those stores to be doing that and no doubt they'll be hearing about it somewhat loudly from certain quarters ... Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Hot X buns

pssst, i have a pack of 6 genuine Hot X Buns in my freezer......meet me in a dark car park and we can do a deal?

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Hot X buns

Can I come too?  I have some blueberry hot cross croissants tucked away in the lower freezer drawer, I'd be happy to trade them, but you have to take the clag off of the buns first .... Woman LOL

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Hot X buns

I really don't get what all the fuss is about.....sell them as fruit buns without the cross until a week or so out from Easter.

Those who want them all year round are happy and those who want them only for Easter are also happy.

I love them and would love to be able to access them all year round but I am also a traditionalist who does not like eating the traditional Hot Cross Buns until nearer Easter.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Hot X buns

I like the idea that they could be sold as Not Cross Buns. 

After all, there are many versions of fruit buns (not that Coles sells them) and I'd like to be able to buy the Easter ones - with or without the cross during other times of the year

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Hot X buns

martinw-48
Community Member
Well I've never found them to be hot or cross.
The always strike me as nonemotional and at room temperature
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply