Hotmail some questions

Hi have some questions re hotmail.

Yesterday as i was opening my hotmail account got a message from supposedly Microsoft saying that to verify the account they were going to send a numbered code to my mobile........which they duely did

Anyone had a similar thing happen with their hotmail at all and if so is it legit ......the OH also has a hotmail account and uses the same computer no notice for his account

Any help would be appreciated thankyou:)

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Hotmail some questions

No, I have a Hotmail account and I've never had such a message. But, I have the paid kind of account ... do you have that or the free one?

I guess if they had your mobile number it would seem more likely to be legitimate???
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Thank you Katy no just have the free one that have had for many years something like 15 years in fact so not sure whats going on:(

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

"Spammers sometimes use automated programs to create Microsoft Outlook or other email accounts and then send junk email to others. That's why you're prompted to verify your account when you try to send an email message from Outlook for the first time.

When you click the verification link, you're asked to type a series of random characters as shown in a picture. (You can listen to an audio file that states the characters if you prefer.)

By entering the characters as shown, you prove that you're a human, and not an automated program. Outlook will occasionally prompt you to verify your account again, just to make sure you're still you and your account hasn't been compromised by spammers."

To request verification email
  1. Go to the Microsoft account overview webpage, and then sign in with your Microsoft account.

2. Click Verify next to the email address, and then click Send me verification email.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I got the same message....

I must admit, I don't often log into that email account though, so I wasn't really surprised.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Hi and thank you all for the replies......its an account that i use daily and have used for years and years.....annoying to say the least:(

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply