How much are you doing for elderly parents?

I've posted this before a few years back, obv still an issue for me.  But how much is too much?  I try and dedicate one day a week to take them shopping, chemist, general stuff, and then am in daily contact, and then am asked every other day "are you around today"? I also have stuff of my own to do, but end up taking them on other errands probably at least 3 days a week.  There is public transport very close to their home and they also get half price taxi fares due to ill health. (mainly just old age problems).

Don't get my wrong I love them dearly but I find they become very negative as they age, everything is a problem or hard work.  They don't seem to want to make life easier for themselves, instead complain about how hard things are with not driving, relying on others etc.  It becomes that it gets you down to be around that negativity.  

Any advice appreciated!

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: How much are you doing for elderly parents?

This is so very true, margo.

I have always been joking with my children that as I grow older, the kids are moving further away from me. Most of them live now in different States and the two who live around Melbourne have jobs that take them overseas a lot, so I hardly ever see them.

Such is life. The world is changeing, life is different now than what it was when I was a young mother. Trouble is that a lot of older people still think like my mother did.

"I raised you and took care of you, now it is your turn to take care of me."

The conviction that children have to be grateful and owe their life to the parents.

Children never ask to be born, and some of them even wish they had never seen the light of day.

I love my children very much and want to see them happy no matter what they do. And because I have been through the stage of caring for aged parents, I know how streessful things can become.

Erica

Message 21 of 32
Latest reply

My children owe me nothing!

However, they were raised to be caring and respectful, so I think perhaps I am lucky that they chose partners who were raised the same way.

I care for my FIL because I want to, he was a lovely man and also very kind, really nice to me always. I don't think he would expect if.

I agree Margo, I can't understand that thinking either but sometimes it's harder for some, than others.

Message 22 of 32
Latest reply

Third world countries look after there old people better then most European countries, younger people dont understand that one day they will be old and on their own, we are living longer and are considered a burden on society when we are over 70.

When it gets to hard for me I will do my own thing.

Message 23 of 32
Latest reply

@margomeoz wrote:

My advice would be to get over yourself.

Whenever I see or hear younger people say how hard it is to care for their parents i always wonder how it is that 1 mother can look after 10 children but 10 children can't seem to look after 1 mother.

wow that's a bit harsh Margo.  I do a hell of a lot for my parents and glad to do so, however there is a point that people may have to accept outside help as well, council assisted cleaning etc.  I would never expect my adult children to be at my beck and call when I get to that age.  I want them to enjoy spending time with me and that may be going shopping together as well as occasionally helping me when I can't find other options.   there has to be a balance.

Message 24 of 32
Latest reply

@margomeoz wrote:

My advice would be to get over yourself.

Whenever I see or hear younger people say how hard it is to care for their parents i always wonder how it is that 1 mother can look after 10 children but 10 children can't seem to look after 1 mother.

While that is a reasonable remark for parents who have a number of children to look after them, what would you suggest for those of us who are only children?

I am the only child of only children so I had no help at all from siblings or other extended family.

I helped my mother look after her parents, my grandparents, until their deaths in their 90s.  My grandfather was in a nursing home for a year or so as he had dementia and could not stay at home but my grandmother was at home till the day she died at 93.

Luckily both my parents were very active at the time so the extra running round did not worry them too much.  Just 9 years later my mother unexpectedly needed heart surgery and 6 months later she was gone.  While it was a short illness it was quite stressful for me.  I only lived 2 blocks away so getting there every day was easy enough but persuading Mum that she needed help was a different matter.  Unfortunately Dad aided and abetted her by declaring that he was going to do everything for her.

While Mum was eventually happy enough to accept help with the housework, getting Dad out of the way was a different matter entirely.  Mum always kept a list of things she had "forgotten" at the shops and would send Dad off to get something.  It just gave me enough time to dust one day, vaccuum another, do the bathroom another day and so on.  All it cost was the extra petrol for the unnecessary trips to the shops....I was occasionally caught out and would get a dirty look from Dad but I don't think he woke up to the fact that it was a set up every time.

But looking after Dad was a different matter entirely....he was so independent that it was almost impossible to do things for him.

He did let me keep his freezer full of favourite foods that Mum used to cook and my husband suddenly became completely unable to do home repairs such as rewire the flyscreens with out the help of my father's tools.

Dad loved to potter in his workshop so I shunted the two of them out the door and grabbed the vaccuum cleaner and mop.

That worked for a few years until he had a mild stroke and then I had to bring in the big guns...my 2 daughters and 2 granddaughters.

He was putty in their hands and doted on his great grandies.   But as they lived about 3 hours drive away we had to time their visits for when it would keep Dad occupied for long enough for us to do what was necessary.

I have to say, without the help of my children and grandchildren I would have been really struggling to take proper care of Dad.  He hated the meals on wheels food....much of it ended up in the garbage, and he could not be bothered getting food out of the freezer towards the end.  He refused any home help...didn't believe they were not going to rob him blind.

I had 6 months of tearing my hair out....he was assessed for all these home help services which he refused, refused to move in with me or to have me stay overnight, even a few times a week but kept insisting that my eldest daughter should give up work to look after him.  That was definitely not an option and it was not an option for him to live with his other granddaughter either as she had 2 and 4 year olds.  He loved them but was exhausted after a few hours of their company so living with them was out.

Finally he developed an infection which put him in hospital.  While there he had a bad fall and it was obvious that he could no longer live alone.  After 8 weeks of very little improvement the doctors decided to fast track him into a nursing home.  The decision was made on the Friday and he was in a very nice place very close to home by the following Wednesday.

I have to admit it was a relief for everybody.  To know that someone else was worrying about what he was eating and when, keeping an eye on him and knowing he had 24 hour help available.   It became a pleasure to visit him at a time that was convenient for us rather than when he needed medication etc. even though he had dementia by this time and half the time his grandchildren had no idea what he was talking about.  lol

Message 25 of 32
Latest reply

I am 51 and an only child

2010: my parents lived 120 km away / i took them shopping once a week as dad stopped driving / mum would catch the bus if she went somewhere to shop as she didn't drive.

mum aged 84 / dad 86

mum became ill suddenly / twisted bowel / emergency surgery and a 4 week hospital stay / mum was never the same and became very frail. weight dropped to 39 kilos.

Meals on wheels commenced.

they refused further help.

mum had a massive stroke and died aged 86

Dad aged 88 lasted 6 weeks at home, deteriorated rapidly, dementia began

He moved in with my family.

dad aged 92 / frail / dementia.

I have him on day trips 3 days a week and a carer takes him out 2 days a week.

he has no memory of going out by the tme he gets home and gets upset and thinks he has been left on the lounge all day.

He complains alot and asks endlessly where he is / how old he is.

I take him out for a drive and dinner saturday and sunday

I have to shower him and meal prepare / laundry

I find this very hard and I get very down / it is like a 24 hour job that never ends. I miss my mother desperately.

Message 26 of 32
Latest reply

Goodness, that sounds so awful for you both! Have you considered having an ACAT done and investigating a nursing home? That would be the best outcome, imo, he may resist at first and you will feel guilty but after a month, you will both wish you had done it sooner.

Message 27 of 32
Latest reply

no

I will keep going - the hardest part is keeping him busy - that's why I have him on the day trips as he loves to be kept busy and 

out and about, otherwise he mopes around and wants to die.

My dad is all I have (apart from hubby and kids) 

all other relatives in the UK.

I would love to go back in time 20 years and have them how they were.

Message 28 of 32
Latest reply

Ash, does your father know who you are?  You are doing an amazing job and I totally understand how that can get you down. My father is the loveliest man, he is starting to lose his memory, mostly short term I think, he recalls people from years ago but is not sure whether they have passed or still here.  He used to be master of the tv remote, now he can't change a chanel yet other things he is spot on with. Im not sure whether this is the start of alzheimers or just old age memory loss.  Sometimes we need time out for ourselves too, hope you manage to do that.  Even if it's just sitting having a coffee or a wine, whatever is your pleasure.  You need that.

Message 29 of 32
Latest reply

@ashjoma wrote:

no

I will keep going - the hardest part is keeping him busy - that's why I have him on the day trips as he loves to be kept busy and 

out and about, otherwise he mopes around and wants to die.

My dad is all I have (apart from hubby and kids) 

all other relatives in the UK.

I would love to go back in time 20 years and have them how they were.

My FIL is coming up to his 4th year with dementia, so not much of his former self is evident, we placed him in a lovely home not far from us, He has been there long enough to get used to the home, has his own bedsit and bathroom, 24 hour care. He is taken on outings regularly and we also take him out.

All his care is met, activities daily to suit him. It's very family oriented and he feels safe there, the guilt is hard to deal with but now we get the pleasure of his company without the hard bits.

Message 30 of 32
Latest reply