How terror threats have changed my outlook on life.

During the period of the Martin Place siege at the Lindt cafe, my son, DIL and infant granddaughter were in lock up in seperate buildings for many hours.
I was terrified until I found out that they were safe.
Last week they were again locked down when another siege threat was made in Phillip Street.
This time I was merely concerned, not terrified.
When and how did the unthinkable in this country become the acceptable.
That in itself is terrifying.

Message 1 of 106
Latest reply
105 REPLIES 105

That saw him off. Robot LOL

Message 101 of 106
Latest reply

@*julia*2010 wrote:

There is no defence of that statement because nobody ever said that ISIS was an Abbott beat up.

Tony Abbott and his 'death cult' statements - all designed to stir up a certain part of society (as evidenced here) and to get their votes.

that's what a beat up means.

to sensationalise something.

by 'death cult' abbott was referring to isis.

the poster accused abbott of using it to stir up

voters.

To say Abbott uses the death cult words to stir people up is not saying that ISIS is a beat up by Abbott.

Abbott does use ISIS to stir up fear and division in the community for the sake of getting votes.

Message 102 of 106
Latest reply

I recall reading an article about people with children named Isis who were suffering and being teased due to the name ISIS being splashed all over the newspapers. I believe that's why they started using death cult instead. It also takes the word Islamic out of the picture which can only be a good thing.

Its a bit like how the changed king hit to coward punch. Change the term to give it a more negative connotation.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 103 of 106
Latest reply

To say Abbott uses the death cult words to stir people up is not saying that ISIS is a beat up by Abbott.

Abbott does use ISIS to stir up fear and division in the community for the sake of getting votes.

Woman LOL Smiley LOL Robot LOL Man LOL Cat LOL 

Message 104 of 106
Latest reply

@*julia*2010 wrote:

Woman LOL Smiley LOL Robot LOL Man LOL Cat LOL 

542266_561465487196876_588072260_n.jpg

Message 105 of 106
Latest reply

@punch*drunk wrote:

I recall reading an article about people with children named Isis who were suffering and being teased due to the name ISIS being splashed all over the newspapers. I believe that's why they started using death cult instead. It also takes the word Islamic out of the picture which can only be a good thing.

Its a bit like how the changed king hit to coward punch. Change the term to give it a more negative connotation.

Interestingly on Q&A this week they talked about the over used 'death cult' description by Abbott. 

One of the panelists made a good point - "death" is part of the glory these extremists love and "cult" it makes it sound like an exclusive society, a fashionable enclave. Put the 2 words together and we are giving these people an elevated value that others might find attactive.

Why not just call them murderers? The words need to be ugly, not exclusive.

Message 106 of 106
Latest reply