How trends change in regards to unpopular people in Australia

I had breakfast with an Indian Jew this morning who came here in the seventies, we were discussing how it was then and how much it has changed, we both tended to agree that Muslims wherever they come from and Arabs in general are not so accepted in society as everyone else.

I remember it being the Greeks and Italians in those days.

We do live in a multicultural society and although I am a Catholic and she is Jewish we both have Muslim friends. My daughter goes to a state school where half of the kids are probably Jewish (I am guessing at that) her children go to a Jewish school but often cover the badge of their uniform when going to suburbs where there are lots of Muslim kids. Neither of us is racist but we both recognise one thing, that society changes to accept or not accept people and it isn't right.

Could it be the newspapers people read?

Photobucket
Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LOL I overheard a bloke in Aldi yesterday. He and his wife were looking at the deli meats, and he said 'I am not eating any of that, it is all wog food'. I was going to say that you are missing out of some really tasty foods, but decided I couldn't be bothered really.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Might be the newspapers they read..

Might also be the knee jerk reactions they have..

Message 2 of 56
Latest reply

I would like to know what parents tell their children - what their reasons are when they decide not to buy food items such as Vegemite, because it is Halal certified. And how that answer influences their children re religious tolerance etc.

What I am getting at is - are children influenced by their parents on race/religion/culture?

Message 3 of 56
Latest reply

I would say definitely, but then there are other influences too, like school, TV, books, internet, being exposed to different cultures when travelling, their peers...influence can come from all sorts of people, places and experiences... 

Message 4 of 56
Latest reply

am*3, the parents don't have to tell their children anything. Children listen in on adult conversations and pick up negative impressions. Also the internet is full of racist people and racist remarks. Most kids don't read the papers, but they connect to others on the net.

Message 5 of 56
Latest reply

Interesting that the wonderful Charlie Perkins Freedom Ride of 50 years ago is being duplicated as we speak, and I heard some of the locals in ? Moree on the radio this morning.  They were saying that in the minds of some locals, not a lot has changed.  I said some.

They remember that some of the very light skinned aboriginal children were able to sneak into the pool, but no others.

I have a documentary film of that ride and watch it regularly, and am upset each time with the horrendous examples of behaviour of fellow Australians.

Message 6 of 56
Latest reply

I remember friends parents telling them not to eat that 'wog' food
Photobucket
Message 7 of 56
Latest reply

LOL I overheard a bloke in Aldi yesterday. He and his wife were looking at the deli meats, and he said 'I am not eating any of that, it is all wog food'. I was going to say that you are missing out of some really tasty foods, but decided I couldn't be bothered really.

Message 8 of 56
Latest reply

How disheartening to think that some people still use that word and mindset. 

Message 9 of 56
Latest reply

@donnashuggy wrote:

We do live in a multicultural society... her children go to a Jewish school but often cover the badge of their uniform when going to suburbs where there are lots of Muslim kids. 

Could it be the newspapers people read?

And what an outstanding success multiculturalism is if kids have to cover the badge of their uniform.

I am allergic to muslims and to compound that problem my religion says I am not to mix with them or take them as friends.

Message 10 of 56
Latest reply