I Was Only Kidding, Possums!

To quench the demands of her adoring "Precious Possums", the grand dame of world theatre Dame Edna Everage emerges from retirement with a brand new show and announces a surprise Australian tour this September through to October.

In a letter to her fans, Dame Edna apologised for upsetting them when she announced her retirement from public life, blaming her manager, "failed actor and attention seeker", Barry Humphries.

"One of the reasons I am adored pretty much worldwide is that I've always told you the truth—mostly the truth about yourselves, and even sometimes about me," Dame Edna said.

"However this is an apology. It's an apology for once telling you a wicked fib: a porkie, a cruel deceitful lie. I told you I had retired.

That was a few years ago and when my announcement got around the globe a lot of people "freaked out", to employ a phrase I never use.

Now I'm reborn, fit as a fiddle, and rid of the leech who tormented me for so long. So, Possums, please do come and say hello to me. It would be lovely to see your faces again."

Don't miss out!

https://www.eventfinda.com.au/2019/dame-edna-my-gorgeous-life-tour/sydney/darling-harbour

Poor old Dame Edna! No doubt she needs to keep working to keep that good-for-nothing Barry Humphries in beer and skittles!

Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

the 'wetting ourselves' was a figment of speech it wasnt intended to be taken literally.

for those too thick to understand, it means there were comediens who could give you a great belly laugh without once saying the 'F' word, or any other foul language.

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Always liked Dame Edna, still do

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

Name one.???

Wendy Harmer

Magda Szubanski

Russel Quoit, forget his real name.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

When I was a teenager I went on a boat trip down the river with a group of people. With my hair down my back, head band and flowered shirt I became anxious because I didn't know the group were young Christians. While I hid in a corner this guy stood up and told a joke - everyone laughed. He responded and ended up telling dozens of jokes and funny stories. My stomach was so sore from laughing. The thing was that every joke and story he told was clean and with no swear words. I get what you mean David. It is refreshing when the comedy is not crass and crude.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

i know most of the posters 'get it' about modern comediens and the excessive use of foul language.

its sad that now days we have people who need foul language and cruel jokes in order to laugh.

i can happily watch youtube videos of dozens of long dead brilliant comediens and still laugh out loud.

not all modern comediens are crass, there are some who can still tell a clean joke and get a good laugh out of an audience,

jim eion (not sure if thats spelled right)

rowan atkinson

bill baily

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

just 1?

dave allan

also the 2 ronnies, eric sykes, morcambe and wise, the goons

Many years ago Dave Allen did a live concert here in Darwin (long time ago - in the mid 80s I think).  Anyway I was a big fan of his TV shows but was very surprised by the language he used during his stage show.  Quite a few people walked out actually.  The rest of us thoroughly enjoyed the show after the initial shock😳.  He was a very clever and funny man (and had a very dirty mouth too😁)

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Hasn't the world had enough of this self adoring, cross dressing old phart?

I know I have.

So have I

Always did

Always will

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

@ambercat16 wrote:

@davidc4430 wrote:

just 1?

dave allan

also the 2 ronnies, eric sykes, morcambe and wise, the goons

Many years ago Dave Allen did a live concert here in Darwin (long time ago - in the mid 80s I think).  Anyway I was a big fan of his TV shows but was very surprised by the language he used during his stage show.  Quite a few people walked out actually.  The rest of us thoroughly enjoyed the show after the initial shock😳.  He was a very clever and funny man (and had a very dirty mouth too😁)

as ive not seen any comediens live i go by what is shown on my tv, i know some older comediens would use bad language on stage. if you pay to go see them you should be warned the show contains bad language.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

I also went to see Dave Allen in the 80's in Melbourne.

Don't remember any bad language, or warnings.

Took my daughter who was only about 10 or 11 at the time.

2nd row -aisle seats, and he addressed the small audience as though he knew us personally.

Very, very funny man.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

I went to see Rodney Rude when he was at his peak. The venue was loaded with police who had warned Mr Rude that he would be arrested if his comedy act was vulgar. We were also warned (by Mr Rude) to be careful when we jumped in our cars at the end because the police were out to get us for drink driving. Mr Rude paid tribute to the officers and was pretty rude, but not vulgar IMO. Perhaps it was because his voice was so wacky. Some people can get away with it without being offensive (if one has a broad sense of humour). Personally I think he was one of them.

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply