I don't get it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2017/11/07/weinstein-spacey-scandals-prompt-questions-treatment-...

Media reports have suggested Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey have checked into a Rehab Centre for treatment and counselling for 'sex addiction', according to their publicists. There is a big difference between really, really liking sex and being an abusive predator. While I know the accusations are just that at the moment, I don't understand why the publicists would release this information. Are the public expected to view this as a reasonable explanation for their (alleged) actions and dismiss it as a sickness or something? I don't buy it and I hope others don't either.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I don't get it.

Agree, big difference between sex addiction and criminal rape. (alleged)

Their lawyers and agents probably suggested it will look better if they attend.

They are clever, these little actors. With emphasis on little.

image host
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

I don't get it.

Certainly Not.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I don't get it.

Tiny indeed

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I don't get it.

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Gotta spin it somehow.

Their careers are in the toilet.

Clutching at straws.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I don't get it.

I don't know exactly what they mean by "sex addiction", or what they are inferring. I have known males with an abnormally high libido due to chemical and hormonal reasons, and some have accepted treatment with medication. But they haven't necessarily been addicted to sex with another person. In fact some have suffered quite deeply. I think the term is misleading and intended to sway people into believing that the poor unfortunate person can't control his manipulative and forceful behaviour.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I don't get it.

6a0133f03a1e37970b01b8d1a300cd970c.jpg

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

I don't get it.

Perhaps the removal of their testes would be in order.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I don't get it.

@not_for_sale2017 wrote:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2017/11/07/weinstein-spacey-scandals-prompt-questions-treatment-...

Media reports have suggested Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey have checked into a Rehab Centre for treatment and counselling for 'sex addiction', according to their publicists. There is a big difference between really, really liking sex and being an abusive predator. While I know the accusations are just that at the moment, I don't understand why the publicists would release this information. Are the public expected to view this as a reasonable explanation for their (alleged) actions and dismiss it as a sickness or something? I don't buy it and I hope others don't either.

Of course it is meant to sway the public into thinking they are victims too.

Same as people use the 

'but I was drunk, or under the influence of drugs' etc, but otherwise I'm a wonderful human being. Of course, I'm drunk or stoned 99% of the time but I can't help that" excuse.

It's getting a little tired, all the excuses & never any acceptance of any personal responsibility.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I don't get it.

One of the first steps of addiction is admitting you have a problem, taking responsibility and making amends.

I truly doubt either of these 2 would even get through the first steps; they won’t admit they are the problem, they wont take responsibility (by admitting the harassment) and they won’t make amends as they will not want to start a pay off precedence.

Addiction therapy is about admitting you are the problem and changing it. Taking responsibility.

Do I think they have a sex addiction? Maybe. But that doesn’t absolve them of any responsibly for their behaviour. However, if it leads them to a place where they can change and make amends, that’s a good thing.

Although I highly doubt either of these men sees their behaviour as a problem and then going is just to seem like they are making an effort.
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply