I wonder if Scomo has discussed the current parliament rape allegations with

the Attorney General???

.......... I guess.... yes.........

it's a wonder Scomo has not got him  to hold a press conference and explain the situation given he is the  cabinets senoir legal advisor.

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 1 of 78
Latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

To be strictly fair though, and to put the comment into context, it is my understanding (and I may be wrong) that Reynolds called Higgins a 'lying cow; not for what she said about the rape, but for what she said about Reynolds' reaction to her complaint.

Message 51 of 78
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

So why - so many years down the track - did the woman come forward - then retract her statement.

And that is all it was - a statement - an allegation.

This whole thing still remains an ' allegation '.

I think the issue is the woman's mental health.  From what I have read, after the "alleged incident' her personality changed completely. Women who knew her said that something must have happened.  From then until she took her life, she vacilliated between wanting to bring the perpetrator to justice and wanting to protect herself.  She reported it then withdrew her statement a couple of times apparently.

I don't think her actions are unbelievable, or not able to be understood and sympathised with.  Unfortunately, the police and the law need more to proceed. 

Message 52 of 78
Latest reply

I agree amber.

If what has been written here of the alleged incident is true - she could have done with help - way back. 

Message 53 of 78
Latest reply

There you go - just in on the news - police have dropped all interest in this.

Even if an inquiry were held - what would come out - that's not already out.

Message 54 of 78
Latest reply

It really is the only thing they can do, and even though as you said great strides have been made with DNA, the chances of anything like that being available after this long are slim to none, especially if said attack happened in a bath tub as I think david mentioned.

Message 55 of 78
Latest reply

OK - as the story went - something supposedly went down - then she blacked out - waking up in a bathtub.

DNA - would be present on - the initial encounter.

Message 56 of 78
Latest reply

Where's the fisherman? He might be outraged after watching this. No, probably not.

https://youtu.be/FUF9x8A3ITk
Message 57 of 78
Latest reply

Funny how the ‘rule of law’ crowd was deathly silent when the government was trashing it
'Rule of law' is the new 'free speech': something you defend when convenient and trample if it gets in your way..

Always look at the framing of issues by politicians and the media, as a good guide to what they want you to avoid thinking about.

In relation to the need for an independent inquiry into the allegations against Christian Porter, that framing — being pushed by both the government and a number of high-profile right-wing journalists — is that it’s a simple issue of law and order versus mob rule/trial by media/social media pile-on. Scott Morrison went so far as to suggest a refusal to call an inquiry was because “rule of law is essential for liberal democracies”.

In short, we’re supposed to think of the allegations against Christian Porter as another iteration of the culture wars in which woke mobs try to cancel conservatives — indeed, cancel democracy itself.

This one fits even more poorly than other self-serving narratives employed by politicians.

Porter shredded the rule of law. He shouldn’t hide behind what’s left of it
Read More
For a start, none of the proponents of “rule of law” have said anything about Christian Porter’s own repeated trashing of the rule of law which has marked his time as Attorney-General. The pages of The Australian and the Financial Review have featured few defences of the rule of law as Porter has tried to prosecute Bernard Collaery in secret, dragged out his trial, or stacked the Administrative Appeals Tribunal to the point of dysfunction.

Nor did they speak up when the government abused its power to call royal commissions by instituting vendettas against Kevin Rudd, Julia Gillard and Bill Shorten via the pink batts and trade union royal commissions — the latter led, of course, by Dyson Heydon.

Nor was there much outcry about the illegal robodebt scheme — in which Christian Porter was front and centre, and for which he has refused to
But in any event, the proposed dichotomy — rule of law v a Twitter mob — is entirely fake.

There are precedents for governments referring themselves to an independent inquiry. The Hope investigation into the Combe-Ivanov affair in 1983 — complete with Mick Young standing down — proceeded merely on the basis of ASIO’s suspicions of David Combe. That inquiry, by Justice Robert Hope, certainly didn’t involve Combe having to prove his innocence.

And every royal commission into misconduct is predicated on the basis that existing regulatory or police investigations are inadequate to deal with a major injustice or policy problem — whether of institutional child abuse, abuse of people with disabilities, or the conduct of the financial services industry.

Were these inquiries an abrogation of the rule of law, a show trial of the participants? Was anyone required to prove their innocence? Were the men whose abuse and cover-ups of abuse were exposed by the royal commission into institutional child abuse victims of a witch hunt? Hardly. Scott Morrison called the royal commission into the abuse of people with disabilities himself.

For that matter, any advocate of the rule of law should insist that the office of attorney-general carries special responsibilities. They should insist that its holder, the first law officer, should be required to have an integrity even greater than that required of their colleagues, given — as Porter himself was in relation to Peter Dutton — they may be required to give potentially damaging advice about them.

Right now Australia doesn’t have such a person — certainly not with acting attorney-general the risible Michaelia Cash, whose contribution to the law consists of refusing to cooperate with an investigation of the misconduct of her office. Again, none of the “rule of law” crowd voiced any concerns about that interim appointment.

But then the “rule of law” is — much like “free speech” is for the same types — something that is only to be stoutly defended when convenient, but readily trampled if it gets in the way of political objectives.
Message 58 of 78
Latest reply

Bernard Keane is the author of the post above.
Message 59 of 78
Latest reply