'Idiot' spectators blasted for touching whale

'Idiot' spectators blasted for touching southern right whale during Hobart visit

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-23/whale-watchers-cause-angst-for-being-too-close-in-hobart/91827...

so thanks to these brain dead morons, soon we will have laws protecting whales from people getting within a reasonable distance of a whale.

and i'm sure that distance will be so far away you wont even see the whale.

and that will prolly affect whale watching boat businesses who have been doing the right thing by the whales.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@davidc4430 wrote:

'Idiot' spectators blasted for touching southern right whale during Hobart visit

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-23/whale-watchers-cause-angst-for-being-too-close-in-hobart/91827...

so thanks to these brain dead morons, soon we will have laws protecting whales from people getting within a reasonable distance of a whale.

and that will prolly affect whale watching boat businesses who have been doing the right thing by the whales.

We were in NZ a while back & on a large catamaran when we saw dolphins and some idiots in a speed boat were going right up as close as they could, risked injuring the animals.

The skipper of the catamaran was not impressed and commented on the fact it was illegal but some people still harrassed the creatures.

No common sense, some folks.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

In South Australia there are already laws in place. In restricted marine zones ( small designated whale sanctuaries ) boats and jet skis must remain at least 300 metres from whales. In unrestricted zones ( almost everywhere ) the distance is 100 metres. Swimmers are required to be 100 metres from whales. There are sensible clauses and guidelines for those who unexpectadly come across a whale that surfaces near them.

These laws are working very well in South Australia.

A few years ago I was fortunate enough to be staying in Victor Harbor, ( a historic whaling town ) SA in the middle of winter when two whales decided to spend the afternoon within metres of a small jetty, situated at an outcrop known as the bluff.  The whales where so close that when they sprayed water through their spouts, the adjacent onlookers took an involuntary shower.

The whales where making a deep rumbling noise which was loud enough to send low vibrations through onlookers clothes and bodies. No doubt this low frequency vibration would travel great distances underwater. It was a truly memorable afternoon and one of lifes very special highlights.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Unfortunately, you can't say there's no "I" in idiot because they definitely put it there...

🙂

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

I used to go camping on an island with a couple of mates some years ago. We took with us a small tin boat. On one occasion I couldn't make the trip in the tinny the morning after we arrived because my head was pounding from our traditional celebration on the first night. But my mates did. When they returned they were so excited because a whale gently surfaced beside the boat to check them out. They said it was so gentle they could barely resist the temptation to touch it, given it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. They were in awe of this experience.

I must confess that had I been with them I probably would have tried to touch it too. I have never seen a whale in natural waters. Yep, I would have been an idiot, but I don't care.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply