Jammed finger in the door - likely to be broken?

aspie*mum
Community Member

My almost 7 year old daughter manager to jam her finger in her bedroom door (whilst I was washing the dog).  Upon hearing hysterical screaming, I turned off the shower, locked the dog in the laundry shower room and went to find L.  (took all of 10 seconds).

She'd jammed her finger, and it was bleeding AND the fingernail was already black.  I am a fully qualified first aider so I gave her appropriate first aid and some ibuprofen.  She's not the first or last person to have had a jammed finger.

BUT it's so swollen and sore.  And I know I am an over protective mother. 

BUT I'm thinking it might be worth getting xrayed?  (Hard to find a clinic with an xray tech on site on late Sunday afternoon and I'm certainly not going to go to emergency at the hospital for a suspected fractured finger - it's not an emergency).  I would usually give it until morning (because I know I overreact) but L is going away interstate with my parents for a week tomorrow, so it's not the best day to get an xray.

😞  So I guess, chances it's fractured would be pretty low?  Leaving an xray until tomorrow morning wont kill her as they wouldn't do anything different to what I have done with the finger, but I feel bad.  I want to help her.

And I've still got to finish washing the stinking dog, who is at this point, locked outside all wet but not shampooed or rinsed (It is warm or he'd be inside).

Message 1 of 189
Latest reply
188 REPLIES 188

:^O:-x

Ms. Mioux, I bet you're just like me - watching something like a disaster movie and all the yoomans are in terrible danger, fighting for their lives; I'll be screaming at the TV "Save the dog, somebody save the dog!".

Yes I'm exactly the same Mrs Monsters. :^O

I yell at the TV "ok if it even looks like something bad is going to happens to the dog/cat/bird/animal I'm turning YOU off!".

And I do. Otherwise I'll have nightmares. :_|

Message 171 of 189
Latest reply

Yes I'm exactly the same Mrs Monsters. :^O

I yell at the TV "ok if it even looks like something bad is going to happens to the dog/cat/bird/animal I'm turning YOU off!".

And I do. Otherwise I'll have nightmares. :_|

I can empathise with that... :-x I still can't watch that part it Never Ending Story where his horse sinks into the swamp, without getting a bit teary :_|

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 172 of 189
Latest reply

I love animal lovers :-x

I like hoomans too but not all.

Message 173 of 189
Latest reply

aspie*mum
Community Member

Update: L is fine.  Finger isn't that swollen.  Looks like the majority of the initial pain was caused by the amount of skin that came off when she jammed her finger.  Glad I didn't drag her to the hospital to wait until all hours for an unnecessary x-ray.  Not a fan of filling her full of radiation unnecessarily.  Lets keep it in perspective - it was a jammed finger - not a life threatening injury.

As for those worried about L going away with her grandparents without a full health check - she's at a paediatrician monthly.  She was at the RCH for her allergy testing updates a fortnight ago.  Pretty sure with all her medical interventions anything life threatening would have been picked up.  

Message 174 of 189
Latest reply

Lets keep it in perspective - it was a jammed finger - not a life threatening injury.

People will over react... I'm sure you knew that she wasn't in any danger of a broken finger.. 

It's a bit of an over reaction to drag someone down to emergency only to find out it isn't broken.. 

I slammed my whole hand in a car door when I was younger, the door even closed on my fingers and none of them were broken, I lost a few nails and there was a lot of bruising...

If it was broken, I doubt they would do much but strap it to the next finger to restrict movement

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 175 of 189
Latest reply

glad you asked us for our opinions 

and we gave them 

you are welcome 

Message 176 of 189
Latest reply

aspie*mum, you know your daughter best.

I once fell over at a party and broke my wrist, it was one o'clock in the morning mum just dosed me up on painkillers and sent me to bed, mum didn't want to wake the doctor and an ED was a two hour drive! :^O

Message 177 of 189
Latest reply

hospitals / doctors always recommend having a child checked.....better to be wrong than find later there is a problem.

when my older daughter was 2 she had a fall....cried for ages. bathed her put her go bed only to have a very disturbed night. her collar bone was fractured 😞

hope little miss has a lovely time away and you get to have some you time as all mothers deseve

Message 178 of 189
Latest reply

The mother sounds quite capable to me, and in the case of a child the "worst case scenario" should be considered.   IMO

You contradict yourself. On the one hand the mother sounds capable, and she did think it unlikely it was broken, but on the other hand  we should be telling her she's not capable and the childs finger has a greenstick #

The worst case was considerd by the capable parent. i.e., if it's broken they can't do anymore than what she had done at that point in time anyway.

I'm sorry I failed to give the response you wanted (screaming omg it's broken there could be bone sticking out what sort of mother are you take her to the hospital now and sit there for hours causing more stress to the child with aspergers etc etc)

Sometimes the patient is not the obvious one. If you read the last paragraph  "  Leaving an xray until tomorrow morning wont kill her as they wouldn't do anything different to what I have done with the finger, but I feel bad.  I want to help her." you might notice what I did, that A*M just needed a bit of reassurance.

So was that so bad of me to try and give her that??  

Anyway, do me a favour and put me on ignore would you, and I'll do the same for you 🙂

I hope Miss L has a happy time with her grandies and the finger stops hurting soon

Message 179 of 189
Latest reply

CS at its finest, no wonder people don't bother coming here anymore

waves to Freddie, pimps, mugs and mogs and anyone else who thinks normally

If they are the definition of normal thinking, I'm glad I'm not in that bunch;\

Message 180 of 189
Latest reply