Just something I would like to share.

A light bulb went off in my head when I read this. I am as guilty as the next person of living through my computer, phone etc.

I had spent an hour in the bank with my dad, as he had to transfer some money.  I couldn't resist myself and asked... 

''Dad, why don't we activate your internet banking?''

''Why would I do that?'' he asked...

''Well, then you won’t have to spend an hour here for simple things like transferring.

You can even do your shopping online, everything will be so easy!”

I was so excited about initiating him into the world of Net banking.

He asked ''If I do that, I won’t have to step out of the house”?

''Yes, yes''! I said, I told him how even groceries can be delivered at your door now and how

the post, delivers everything!

His answer left me tongue-tied, he said: ''Since I entered this bank today, I have met four of my friends, I have chatted a while with the staff who know me very well by now”.

“You know I’m alone..so this is the company that I need. I like to get ready and come to the bank, I have enough time and it is the *physical touch* that I crave.  Two years back when I got sick, the store owner from whom I buy fruits, came to see me and sat by my bedside and cried. 

Would I have that 'human' touch if everything became online?  

Why would I, want everything delivered to me and force me to interact with just my computer?  

I like to know the person that I'm dealing with and not just the 'seller'.  It creates bonds;

Relationships, so does online deliver all this, as well?

*Technology isn't Life .. 

Spend time with People .. Not with Devices*

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

For your interest....The experts will tell you that Internet banking is not secure, and that the Internet was never designed or intended for this purpose.  It is in the Bank's interest (to save them money) that they encourage it.  Cyber crime experts do not use it. It is scary to think, now that everything is on line, that tomorrow we could wake up to find our accounts cleaned out and our house sold from under us.  Most people do not understand computer security, and it is worrying that these people have control over our most sensitive data.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I worked in aged care for many years and this is what all my residents told me also....the human touch, voice is more important than saving time by doing everything online.
I still see elderly people coming into the shop where I work and they come in for tha chat and a good laugh. Many are quite lonely.
A sad thought.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

So what do you suggest for elderly people who are unable to go out to have human contact.

Believe me, the internet is a lifeline for those people.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I agree that the internet is a wonderful lifeline for the elderly.

Unfortunately, not everyone has access to it due to financial issues or they are unable to use it due to poor eyesight. Or athritic hands, etc.

There is no quick solution to help these isolated people. They may not have families (not everyone has children) or families are scattered through the country or overseas.

The people I am thinking of would prefer a phone call or a visit from another human being and don't want to be reliant on a machine they don't understand or can't afford.

I just wish there was something that could be done but unfortunately i don't have the answer.

Maybe someone out there has a solution.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

All the Lonely People.   Should write a song, thats right someone did, back in the sixties (long before PCs & PC).  Devices do not =  or create Loneliness, how much time do devices save you, now what you choose to do with that extra time is entirely up to the individual.

Loneliness is now such a BIG problem in  Britain, that they actually now have a minister for loneliness,  I take it they sit in an office

by themselves, but Hey I might be a bit cynical about politicians, who like to  identify/create issues that they can pretend to fix, at great expense.   An active mind reduces the possibilites for loneliness,  I wont offer other ways to eliminate loneliness, as I am sure to

upset the Sensitive  PC's amongst us.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I've always thought there is a difference between being alone and feeling lonely. I'm pleased that Dad finds his visits to the bank to be meaningful and fulfilling. But others find internet banking to be a blessing. As mentioned, people who cannot physically make it to the bank can still tend to their needs, and not be quite as disadvantaged. It just goes to show that we are all individuals and it is good that technology can help us to remain as independent as we want to be. My only gripe is the obsession young people have with mobile phones. I can't remember the last time my son looked me in the eyes when he spoke to me, or probably heard half of what I said!

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

each to his own is my view

if standing in a bank makes your day then thats fine (or any other place you have to stand in line)

i like doing things online, i dont like talking to people face to face.

i live alone but i'm not lonely.

i have Foo, Rosie and the Canary, and now a aquarium.

never have arguments about what to watch on tv

go to bed early or stay up till late, get up at 3am and listen to rock music.....i can do that if i want.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@lyndal1838wrote:

So what do you suggest for elderly people who are unable to go out to have human contact.

Believe me, the internet is a lifeline for those people.

Agreed.  While I am not elderly (hopefully but who knows what 'elderly' is these days), I am housebound and don't have many visitors.

Mind you most of the time (99%) I am happy in my own company. It's when I have something interesting to talk about, or I might need help sometimes, or family issues come up that the lone 1% of time comes to the fore.  Besides, I have a pet and that I suspect also makes a difference.

On the internet however, I have many many friends - school friends, interest group friends, hobby friends, most of which I have maintained contact with for years (and decades when it comes to school friends).

I love to shop online though I am not extravagent.  I lead quite a simple life.  My only bugbear about online orders is (aside from groceries where all I have to bother with is a few plastic bags) everything comes in large boxes whether they need to or not.  Sometimes I feel like I am drowning in cardboard boxes.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply